• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some questions about the DB-2 timing advance solinoid.

m1garand_man

What does the timing advance solenoid actually do? It looks like the plunger actually connects or contacts anything in the lower part of the fuel pump. If I'm right it looks like when the solenoid is energized the plunger pushes up and either opens up the check valve on the fuel return connector or it blocks the fuel flow out of the pump all together. But I'm not sure which much less why and what that does to advance the timing. Could someone explain this to me?

Oldsouthernboy

What you are looking at is not a timing advance but a cold start selonid that at below 85 degress advances the throttle to warm up faster. just idles the engine a little faster.

m1garand_man

What you are looking at is not a timing advance but a cold start selonid that at below 85 degress advances the throttle to warm up faster. just idles the engine a little faster.
no thats not what I'm looking at. what I'm looking at is inside the standyne DB-2 injection pump under the pump cover.

I'm talkingabout part 14 on part 13 in the diagram. All is seems to do is block off the return connector and I'm not sure how that advances the timing.

Attachments

Matt65

no thats not what I'm looking at. what I'm looking at is inside the standyne DB-2 injection pump under the pump cover.

I'm talkingabout part 14 on part 13 in the diagram. All is seems to do is block off the return connector and I'm not sure how that advances the timing.

I am no DB2 expert, but there is a lot of very good information in the links below. I believe what you are asking about is the High Pressure Cold Advance (HPCA).

Oliver Diesel - Engines & Outdoors

Stanadyne DB2 Fuel Injection Pump &raquo Motor Mayhem

"Housing pressure and transfer pump pressure behind the power piston influence the action of the servo piston. When the engine is cranking, the fuel behind the servo piston is at housing pressure, and the power piston is seated against the housing. As the engine speed increases, transfer pressure rises and the subsequent increase in transfer pump pressure forces fuel into a chamber behind the power piston.

When transfer pressure in chamber behind the power piston exceeds housing pressure, the servo piston acts against the servo spring, and the power piston pushes the cam advance pin which rotates the cam ring in the opposite direction to the distributor rotor’s rotation and so the rollers contact the cam lobes earlier and injection timing is advanced." -Neil Beadle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks