• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some Random NP205 questions

roveroverme

Banned
My other M1028 had a NP208 and I kind of like that one better.
I had to fix the 4x4 switch so far as it wouldn't come on even if the 4x4 was engaged and that freaked me out since I wasn't sure, if I was coasting on the street with the 4x4 engaged.
So, as i said I fixed the switch. But now I drive down the road and the light comes on sometimes :((. When I pull the lever all the way to the seat it's supposed to be in 4x4HI , I push forward and the next notch (where you feel something changing) is neutral, so I pull the lever back again, there is a very vague areal between the two that turns the light off and doesn't yet seem to engage the last gear. So i am wondering, are the NP205 that way, or is there something that I need to adjust on mine?

Skinny

My switch only seems to work at high elevations...rather strange.

The NP205 does have a much different feel compared to the NP208 because it doesn't have the split shift pattern. I believe the NP208 requires you to go over and down for Low. The NP205 is just straight back and forth which leaves much to be desired since I don't have a functioning light either to confirm. I think it is just something you have to master.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, in the old days we didn't have (or need) 4WD lights. The high elevation thing is peculiar. Definitely a feel is required to get it right.

Skinny

Yeah, taking it up Mt. Washington in 4LO hubs freewheeling (just for some added gearing) and magically the light comes on at roughly 4,000 feet. I was like, "cool...it finally works!"

Needless to say that on the way back down the light went off...DOH! I'm thinking a healthy dose of electrical cleaner may fix it :)

roveroverme

Banned
What I'm thinking of is. I don't want to damage it by being on the road and perhaps having it in 4x4 high. I don't mess with the lever, but all it takes is for the light to come on and I'm already worried that it may have moved somehow.

definitely a weird thing with your switch, Skinny.

chesapeake

My light hasn't worked since I got the truck almost two years ago. Last year when Atlanta shut down due to the ice and snow, my light came on and stayed on. Worked perfectly!! Haven't seen it since.

Skinny

When I first purchased my truck, the tcase lever was almost flopping out of the truck. Turns out that the lever bolt was coming out and no bushing was installed. I machined up a bushing and installed a much beefier bolt. Now the linkage is solid. More than likely you probably have a worn bushing or loose pivot bolt unless the other part of the linkage is worn out. It's still kind of vague shifting but atleast I can feel the detents better.

Skinny

No prob, good luck. I had a lot of work to get my tcase situated when I first bought the truck. The lever actually came out in my hand the first time I went to use it in a storm. Woohoo, that was fun...

Skinny

Play at 1 is probably going to exist because its just a simple shaft going into a hole ;)

Play at 2 is most likely the loose bushing or bolt. I couldn't tell you what it's made of originally because my bushing was gone. I didn't check to see what the availability is on the part either, went straight to the machine shop and spit one out. If it's some type of plastic it more than likely has lived a long life and is ready for replacement.

marand9199

Skinny;
In your 2
[SUP]nd[/SUP] post on this thread you mentioned being in 4LO, hubs unlock for added extra gearing. Can you explain the advantage to this for me?

Skinny

With the hubs unlocked, you have no drive to the front wheels. Since climbing Mt. Washington is rather tough in a low horse heavy truck, I wanted the additional gearing of low range without the added traction of 4wd since the road is mostly paved. For this setup, you can shift into 4LO with the hubs unlocked and not worry about binding the truck up on pavement.

roveroverme

Banned
Is there some adjustments that can be made to make the bearing in side the shift lever expand? It looks there is quite an elaborate assembly going on at that connection.
Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 4.23.49 PM.png
For instance part #7 what is that doing?

tim292stro

As patracy suggested, twin sticking it would get you to where you want to be. More specific control over what is happening in your transfercase, with the side effect that less complicated mechanisms will give you more "directly coupled" feeling to the actual t-case detents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks