• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some things I've learned from my first time winching

jrou111

1. Even if you read and memorize the TM, you still have a high chance that you'll get hurt.

2. Steel cable is heavy and very greasy. The grease is there to hide the metal slivers.

3. If pulling a tree over, make sure to measure the height of the tree and that the cable is LONGER than that amount by more than 10ft.

4. 'Low' on the PTO lever is still pretty darn fast. "High" is a good way for you to drag your deuce through gravel with the brakes locked up.

5. It's nearly impossible to get your cable spooled back on the drum NEATLY when operating your winch by yourself.

6. Pulling over a 18" dia. pine tree and watching it topple down will make you giggle like a school boy.

7. Although very very dangerous, winching is fun! :-D

Last edited:

hole

Now you've done it Kenny, I'm gonna HAVE to get a winch for the Deuce now that I see the size of tree I could pull down:-D

brhwilk

Too funny!

Your points of winching are too funny!
I am searching for my first Duce and would love to hear any advice you can offer on what to look for, and what to do when I do buy one regarding getting it home.
Thanks!
Brian

zb39

When your putting the line back on a winch, you need some tension to get it nice. Put truck at bottom of hill and winch it up in N cable will look good. Of course without a level wind you might need 2 people..:-D

jrou111

When your putting the line back on a winch, you need some tension to get it nice. Put truck at bottom of hill and winch it up in N cable will look good. Of course without a level wind you might need 2 people..:-D
I dragged a stump to add tension. Making sure the cable stays where you put it at the start, and after you take tension off of it are the hard parts. I'll probably be using it again soon, and once I get a 'soldier B' over to the house I can get it on the drum properly. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks