• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some unusual Deuce parts

TaylorTradingCo

I recently got in five Deuces from Hattiesburg, MS and they had some unusual features.

The Reo (keeper) had bottom mounted headlights and extra wide rear view mirrors, one had an electric horn, one had a flap type exhaust pipe cap, several had turned up air intakes and electric wipers. On a previous truck I got one that had brand new LED turn lights all the way around.

Derek Taylor

Attachments

dm22630

Looks like truck #2 has the air intake for the heater in a weird spot too......truck #3 has duel folding bumper steps.....I have only seen those on a winch truck. cool!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck in the background in the second pic looks like it has a really tall stack.

TaylorTradingCo

You're right, I forgot about that. The intake mounted in the lower hole makes so much more sense. With it mounted in the door, the hose gets kinked nearly in two and your vision is completely blocked when you open the door. I saw one also that had the cover with the opening facing down, that made sense too as it would keep out the rain.

Derek Taylor

lavarok

My '78 M35A2 came with both an air and an electric horn. Nice bumper steps on the bottom headlight truck. As for the turned up air intake, I have thought about doing something similar given the torrential rains we have here in FL.

dm22630

You're right, I forgot about that. The intake mounted in the lower hole makes so much more sense. With it mounted in the door, the hose gets kinked nearly in two and your vision is completely blocked when you open the door. I saw one also that had the cover with the opening facing down, that made sense too as it would keep out the rain.

Derek Taylor

A negative to that would be fording water. You lose 6-8 inches of depth because water could get sucked in, I would think. But....I think that I am going to convert mine now.....your point makes a lot more sense to me than fording.

TaylorTradingCo

I hand't noticed that, but I did see one there which had the exhaust pipe coming out under the bed between the rear tandems!

BTW, the trucks I got out of Camp Shelby were all in very good condition, all motors ran, one of them a little too good.

Derek Taylor

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything you pointed out are everyday things. Keep buying and watching trucks....you'll see it all again and again.

Decent looking units.
You're right about that. All M35A2s came from the factory just alike but I have yet to find two alike by the time Uncle Sugar gets rid of them.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The closest thing to how deuces come (to me) is an older motorcyle. Yeah... it's an 84 FXST, but it looks nothing like the others I've seen....

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I recently got in five Deuces from Hattiesburg, MS and they had some unusual features.

The Reo (keeper) had bottom mounted headlights and extra wide rear view mirrors, one had an electric horn, one had a flap type exhaust pipe cap, several had turned up air intakes and electric wipers. On a previous truck I got one that had brand new LED turn lights all the way around.

Derek Taylor
Bottom mount headlights: In the early days of the M44 series, the headlights on non-winch models were on the bottom, winch models were flipped and they were on the top. At some point, they started doing all of them the same.

Extra wide rear view mirrors: Ten ton or perhaps 5 ton bridge truck mirrors.

Flap type: Sometimes seen on USAF 1980's models, I am sure anyone in the supply chain who was clever could have ordered one.

As mentioned by a poster above, the strange heater intake: That's actually where it's supposed to be. There is a small elbow that goes on the inside to get the outside air to the heater box.

TaylorTradingCo

On the headlights, I thought that some older ones had the lights down low, but my Reo is a 1979 model. It is actually the newest truck that I have.

It makes so much more sense that the heater intake should've been in the bottom home all along, because if you put it in the door hole not only does it kink the hose almost completely closed, if you try to turn the cover to keep the rain out, then the door can't lay down properly. If it is on bottom then the door opens completely, you can turn the cover any way you want, the hose is not kinked and you have more visibity under the hood.

Derek Taylor

TaylorTradingCo

I have been to bases in MS, TN, AL, SC, GA and NC, I have done plenty of research online and look at GL religiously. I have bought 18 trucks so far, so I would not exactly call myself a newbie.

I just thought these were some interesting variations that some enthusiasts might like to see. I know I personally am interested in things that are out of the ordinary and everybody here claims to want to see pictures, so I am a little irked at somebody complaining about this.

I know that the purpose of the flap is to keep rain out, but the purpose of the thread is to show some "unusual" Deuce parts. You can't tell me this is not unusual. Go to GL right now and try to find a Deuce that has this, you can't. I didn't say they were made of gold and worth a fortune, just that they were unusual.

Let me see pictures of your trucks Westfolk with all of these ordinary features.

Derek Taylor

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On the headlights, I thought that some older ones had the lights down low, but my Reo is a 1979 model. It is actually the newest truck that I have.

Derek Taylor
Multiple possiblities: It was actually rebuilt in 1979 and is actually a much older model....... or it was in an accident and the motor pool threw it back together with parts off another truck and they just didn't bother to flip them........ etc., etc.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, somethings not right. A Reo model wouldn't be a '79-Reo was out long before then. A '79 would be an AM General I think. So if yours is a Reo, it is much earlier. Check the vin on the frame near the pitman arm and let us know what it is.

I do not think a 1979 model would have been factory built with bottom mount headlights.

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

Here is a picture of the dash plate and the VIN on the frame matches it. Vehicle I.D.# 0125 11215.

I do notice that it says M35, not M35A2 on the nameplate.

I got the 1979 from the listing on GL. Camp Shelby is the only base I have been to where they give you the vehicles history reports, even a little floppy disk, but I don't see that 1979 on their paperwork.

I suspect it is much older and has been refitted.

Any info. is appreciated as this is my first Reo and I plan on keeping it.

Derek Taylor

Attachments

TenTires

I have been to bases in MS, TN, AL, SC, GA and NC, I have done plenty of research online and look at GL religiously. I have bought 18 trucks so far, so I would not exactly call myself a newbie.

I just thought these were some interesting variations that some enthusiasts might like to see. I know I personally am interested in things that are out of the ordinary and everybody here claims to want to see pictures, so I am a little irked at somebody complaining about this.

I know that the purpose of the flap is to keep rain out, but the purpose of the thread is to show some "unusual" Deuce parts. You can't tell me this is not unusual. Go to GL right now and try to find a Deuce that has this, you can't. I didn't say they were made of gold and worth a fortune, just that they were unusual.

Let me see pictures of your trucks Westfolk with all of these ordinary features.

Derek Taylor
Im with you man. It doesnt matter if your deuce came from GL bobbed with tank tracks and a rocket launcher, somebody's going to have something stupid to say about it. :roll: I think youve got some neat stuff there.

TaylorTradingCo

Thanks.

BTW, I pulled the flapper pipe off before I sold that truck and am going to put it on one of my growing number of "keepers".

On another note. I have a deal worked out to trade for a 10-ton tractor later this week. I can't wait to get that baby home! It is definately going to be a "keeper" too. I have already told the wife it's coming.

Derek Taylor

Green_gator

Since you have both high and low headlight setups handy can you answer a question for me? Does it make a difference on how well they illuminate the road depending upon the location? I wonder if the government found that the higher position gave better illumination? The upturned intake is in the plans for my Florida truck as we get plenty of rain and I would think the extra height would add to the fording ability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks