• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some unusual Deuce parts

joec

Bottom mount headlights: In the early days of the M44 series, the headlights on non-winch models were on the bottom, winch models were flipped and they were on the top. At some point, they started doing all of them the same.

Extra wide rear view mirrors: Ten ton or perhaps 5 ton bridge truck mirrors.

Flap type: Sometimes seen on USAF 1980's models, I am sure anyone in the supply chain who was clever could have ordered one.

As mentioned by a poster above, the strange heater intake: That's actually where it's supposed to be. There is a small elbow that goes on the inside to get the outside air to the heater box.

Yes clinto the one with the air intake for the heater is a Air Force Truck....I have one same style with the heater intake mounted there ine is a 1986..!!

joec

My truck has an interesting speedometer, pics below. It also has the canvas boots on the shift levers, not that unusual but I like it. I also have a gun rack!

Thas cool it has kilometers on it. You can tell that was over seas..!

datsunaholic

Being that the last vestiges of REO died in bankruptcy in 1975, there's no way a 1979 Deuce is a REO. In fact I believe the last REO Deuces were built before the 1967 merger with Diamond T. I know Kasier-Jeep got their first M35 contracts in 1964, and made them through around 1970.

On an interesting note, every low-headlight Deuce I've seen was a REO (when I previewed a bunch in 2003, I wrote down the dataplate info and what engine/existence of turbos and such. Unfortunately lost the paper). Saw a couple REOs then. In fact I think the M109 my unit had was a REO... it was a old bugger, and I kind of remember it having low headlights.

TaylorTradingCo

I just based the 1979 part on what GL said it was. That date is not listed in the government records that came with the truck. Unfortunately no other date is mentiuoned either opther than when work was done to it.

Maybe someone on here can check the serial number and tell us more.

Based on the fact that the data plate says "M35" only, I would agree that it is a much older truck that has had some upgrades. Regardless, I like it :-D

Derek Taylor

datsunaholic

Derek, it's also notable that the dataplate has been removed as well... missing screw that doesn't line up with the hole anymore (probably more due to the screws being gone, as I can see the hole behind). The flat-bar Grille is more typical of the older trucks as well though not as telling as many had variations. BUT being a low-headlight truck limited the grille options.

In any case, I like it too. The truck has character.

You might be able to get some info off the Engine dataplate/rebuild tag. That might be were GL got the "1979" from.

TaylorTradingCo

I think the data plate is original as it says "M35" on it and not "M35A2". Also, the vehicle ID# from the data plate matches the one stamped into the frame.

It is amazing how they can all be so much alike and yet have their own character.

Datsuns as in dogs or cars?

Derek Taylor

uoa

On an interesting note, every low-headlight Deuce I've seen was a REO (when I previewed a bunch in 2003, I wrote down the dataplate info and what engine/existence of turbos and such. Unfortunately lost the paper). Saw a couple REOs then. In fact I think the M109 my unit had was a REO... it was a old bugger, and I kind of remember it having low headlights.
My 1966 Kaiser-Jeep has low headlights...

datsunaholic

Datsuns as in cars, not Dachshund the dog. I have around 17 of the things. My neighbors LOVE me. I don't live out in a rural area, I live in an urban grid. 17 Datsuns, a rusty Ford F250, a Deuce, 2 boats, a utility trailer, and an 18ft flatbed equipment trailer on a 100x90 lot (that also contains a house and a detached garage). I'm trying to avoid going overboard on the MV thing like I did with the Datsuns.

jdmcgowen

I recently got in five Deuces from Hattiesburg, MS and they had some unusual features.

The Reo (keeper) had bottom mounted headlights and extra wide rear view mirrors, one had an electric horn, one had a flap type exhaust pipe cap, several had turned up air intakes and electric wipers. On a previous truck I got one that had brand new LED turn lights all the way around.

Derek Taylor
On the first truck under the passenger headlight, what is it? electric horn?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On the first truck under the passenger headlight, what is it? electric horn?
Yes, in the early days of the M-series 6x6's, they had electric horns. At some point, they got air horns. My truck got an air horn at some point but they left the electric horn in place.

TaylorTradingCo

Westfolk,

"You need to get a grip. While at the same time learn how to read and understand the English language."

I believe I have a pretty good understanding of the English language. I have been speaking it for over 40 years. I have created literally hundreds of pages of our companies websites and people come from hundreds of miles to seminars that I have written explaining how to build with an alternative building material.

"So next time you post something that is so rare everyone has one.....I won't say a thing."

If everyone has one, let me see pictures of your trucks with these features.

"I just need to sit back and have you educate me. Just not anything to do with English. You've already proved you can't read it and know what it says."

Rather funny coming from you. Obviously, if I couldn't read I wouldn't be able to have posted in the first place. You are the one who has a difficult time understanding English. I never said these trucks were "rare", I just said that they had some unusual parts. That much should be obvious from the title of the thread.

I don't claim to be an expert on these things by any means. Aside from working on these trucks for 8-10 hours a day, I come here to this website to learn more about them from people who have more experience than myself. I have learned many invaluable tidbits of knowledge from this website and am forever grateful.

It seems that I am also getting some lessons in human nature as well.

Derek Taylor

TaylorTradingCo

Yes, it is an electric horn. It is hillarious coming out of a huge truck like this. Beep, beep. It sounds like the Road Runner.

If you notice on my Reo, it has a place like that above the passengers headlight. There is no horn there now, but I wonder if it didn't have an electric horn there originally.

Derek Taylor

Attachments

bede63

Derek - The mirror brackets on the bottom headlight REO look like the type found on most 5-ton trucks. Not sure why they would be mounted on a deuce unless this truck was regularly carrying or pulling some kind of extra wide load, perhaps. Just my $0.02.
Nice trucks, congrats!

Charles Schneider

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting old thread.... but I had really hoped to see more unusual Deuce parts pictured....

Here is one you won't find in the manuals. Guess what it is....:)
(more pics later....;-))

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks