• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some winch questions

croftonaviation

I got to finally use my winch truck this weekend for it's intended purchase, pulling a stuck tractor out of a hole. I have a couple of questions for you winch experts out there.

1st what is the safest way to get the cable to wind back up nice and pretty.

2nd what do you use to do your six month pm on the cable. The tm calls for some "exposed gear lube" any brand that works well?

3rd what is the best means of surface rust removal from the cable. I found just unwinding it and coating with motor oil helped quite a bit. Is there a chemical product of just a steel bruch and some elbow grease.

Thanks for the input, I am so glad I got a truck with a winch

shannondeese

I unwind mine all the way out and hook it to my F250 or F350 in neutral and wind in back in in low gear very slowly. As it winds in either me or my buddy applys pressure to the cable to make it track evenly across the drum. If you do this a few times you'll have it down pat in no time. The weight of the truck helps to keep tension on the cable for the next use.

fasttruck

To wind cable evenly it must go straight into winch as it winds up or it will all be jammed on one side. Truck must align on anchor or use a snatch block to change direction of pull. Wind cable onto drum and pour new oe 1540 over it with an absorbant pad underneath to catch any extra that is not absorbed into winch. Proper winch cable has one rope strad in it to act as a wick and hold oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks