• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

somebody let the smoke out

JUNKYARDJOHN

My OH-9 has been hibernating in my shop for about the last 3 months & it's just been too darn cold to work on it. It's a work in progress that I picked up in august. I bought new glow plugs, injecter nozzels, new radiator, a momentary push button, uprade starter relay (under the dash). new glowplug relay cellinoid (next to m/c)(None has been installed yet) & a decent volt-meter-multi-tester. I rebuilt quite a few small blocks & a few big blocks, so I'm kinda mechanical, but this is my first forray into diesels, & I was never what you would call electrically inclined. I've downloaded & printed every t-m & post even remotely related that I thought I could use. I am capable of learning... & I will. well.. about a week ago I was out in my shop doing something (it was a nice day) & I've been dreading doing any electrical work on this thing, but all the wireing looked unbutchered in every way. I wasn't anywhere near my truck & thought I smelled something... I walked over to the big door that was open & looked up at the house.. nice day & I didn't even have a fire in the woodstove. The hood was up on my blazer... & as I looked at it, it was starting to smoke up near my master cyl. area of my firewall. Two wires..the hot coming in & going out of my juntion block, going to my glowplug relay cellinoid were melting. Luckily I was standing right there & a 1/2 wrench was in reach, & I quick like a bunny undid my negative wire to my #1 battery . they both melted.. seeming to stop about 6" at the first fusible link. WOW... ALL BY ITSELF. I thought if I hadn't been right there it could have burned everything to the ground.( see the crummy pic.s) I will start by replacing that glowplug cellinoid & the wires & fusible links, but have been putting it off, & only wanted to do one electrical thing at a time to take ? out of the equasion, seeing as Im new to all this. do you guys think my glowplug card could have caused this?? or that cellinoid??? I plan on doing the doghead relay upgrade & pushbutton glowplug bypass deal anyway, & already had the parts.. I'm just not sure what the heck happened?? any ideas???. I've seached & searched... honest. I haven't touched it since.... but I'm going to have too. John

Attachments

OL AG '89

Bizarre!!!
Did you let your dog possibly urinate on a tire while you weren't watching????
without applying power to the solenoid it is just a "dumb" switch, maybe you had some furry visitors while you let it sit NEGLECTED..... for the last several months?????
Sell it, Buy a PRIUS, and at least the ensuing fire would be WORTH IT!!!!

post up if you find the problem.....

JUNKYARDJOHN

NOPE I didn't touch it HONEST. It was just dumb blind luck that I was there. I hadn't been out in the shop for a good three weeks prior to that. I've been searching & scouring every scrap of info. I could come up with looking for an answer. I didn't want to come off as a dumbsh!t looking for an easy fix to this, but after about a week or so I still can't come up with anything that makes any kind of sence. I'm baffeled. Kinda sounds like a horror story that happened to someone else. john

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wire that melted is actually the fusable link. The black barrel connector is just a peice of plastic that covers the connection between the wires. Fusable links are special types of wires that are designed to melt the wire inside the outer housing to help protect the other components. Sometimes the outer housing does break and expose the inner wire.

Did you hear the starter engage? You may have had the starter relay engage.

You will need to see which wires melted. Someone had already replaced one of the links as there is a blue butt connector installed.

See where the burnt wire goes to so we can see which circuit is effected.

But the way it "solenoid"

We will try to help figure it out.

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

I didn't hear anything.. but I was a good 40 feet away from it & just walked over next to it when I smelled smoke. the first thing I thought of was to look up at my house (about 75 yrd.s away) but it was the first day nice enough, that I didn't have a fire in my woodstove. I kinda figured you guys would have a simple answer, so I was trying to find it myself instead of looking like a fool. :) John

JUNKYARDJOHN

I'm going to take every electrical conection on this truck apart, clean it, & put dielectric grease on it... & I think I will install a couple of battery shutoff switches in this sucker. JUST IN CASE :) John

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

I will go out in the shop in the morning & try & get some better pic.s so you'll have a little better idea of what I'm trying to say. Any kind of electrical stuff is not my stong suit... to put it mildly, but I'm capable of learning. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. John :lost:

JDToumanian

I park my vehicles far enough from the house that if they 'spontaneously combust' it will not burn the place down. Too many stories like this out there. I was helping a buddy swap engines in his van when we heard the next door neighbor start screaming.... We looked over and there was smoke pouring out of her garage. We ran over there and the smoke was coming from under the hood of her late 1980s Volvo sedan. We popped the hood and the alternator's field windings were glowing bright red, it looked like toaster coils in there. It did this all by itself, she hadn't driven the car since the day before. Shorted diodes or something, we pulled the battery cable and she had the car towed to her mechanic for a new alternator. If she hadn't walked into the garage to do laundry the place could have caught fire. She never did park it in the garage again....

Jon

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disconnect the batteries are check these..............

Here are the possible circuits that could be effected

You will have to use your voltmeter and trace the wires.

12v feed from the battery - wire 8 RED-2A

12v feed from GEN1 (not likely) - wire 8 RED-2B

12v feed to GEN2 (looks like the burnt wire) - wire 8 RED/WHT-2A

12v feed to ignition switch - wire 3 RED-2A which turns into 3 RED-2E
(wire 3 RED-2B is for the A/C on the M1010s)

12v to the Headlight fuse - wire 3 RED-2G

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

THANKS..I will put in the new radiator & finish installing the inline remote oil filter that I'm putting in my trans. line, so I can start the darn thing anyway, providing I can make it work. John

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

I will get this rascal ready mechanically to run (without making a mess), take some better pic.s, try & trace these wires & report my findings back tomorrow afternoon. THANKS AGAIN. John

Last edited:

Grega

To Worthhog . Every time I see the R Lee Ermy on your post, it scares the **** out of me as I seen Full Metel Jacket and I was in the Marines back in the early 80s. Ended serving 6 years. When ever I see your post, it takes me back to bootcamp. He was the roll model of the Marines. Just to let you know. Greg

JUNKYARDJOHN

To Worthhog . Every time I see the R Lee Ermy on your post, it scares the **** out of me as I seen Full Metel Jacket and I was in the Marines back in the early 80s. Ended serving 6 years. When ever I see your post, it takes me back to bootcamp. He was the roll model of the Marines. Just to let you know. Greg
It is a little intimidating... but I will get thing little wireing problem figured out. Theres NO WAY.. I'M GOING OVER TO MAMBY PAMBY LAND. :grin: Now I need to figure out how to properly read these schematics & figure out how to operate this new multi-meter. I'AM CAPABLE OF LEARNING HOW TO FIX MY OWN STUFF. John

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

I will get this rascal ready mechanically to run (without making a mess), take some better pic.s, try & trace these wires & report my findings back tomorrow afternoon. THANKS AGAIN. John
Well.. I've decided I'll put in a dedicated engine oil cooler & do away with those cheasy-looking factory aluminum oil lines, by having some one piece hydraulic hoses made up to do the chore, while I've got this radiator out for replacement. My plates & insurance comes due at the end of this month, & I haven't even driven it on the pavement yet.:cookoo:aua Sometimes I do the dumest stuff... for a guy that considers myself of average intelligense. OH'WELL... it's only money... & the state of KENTUCKY probably needs it. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS & I'll resurect this thread in about a week when I get the mechanical stuff squared away. Then I'll tackel this electrical stuff. (meenwhile both batteries are completely unhooked :) ) I WILL LEARN HOW TO DO EVERYTHING ON THIS THING MYSELF... THATS A PROMISE. John

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are hundreds of youtubes that show how to use the multimeter. Finds some and practice, practice, practice.

The diagrams are for reference and you just connect the dots.

Translating them to the actual wiring in the vehicles is where the fun begins.

The wires themself are not labeled. The diagrams show numbers but that is for reference only. The only thing to go by in the vehicles is wire color and size.

Read the first few pages of the troubleshooting section. It explains how to read the diagrams, what the symbles are and what the wiring labels mean.

It may take a little while but you will be able to fix the issues and learn more about your truck.

Look at it this way.......Would you rather learn yourself or pay someone to learn it for you?

I had never seen a CUCV up close until a couple of years ago. Now people here think I'm an expert........Jokes on them....LOL

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

THANKS WARTHOG... i've always taken the attitude that just because I haven't done some particular thing... doesn't meen I can't. I will defeat this big green sucker & learn to do everything myself. I've restored or hotrodded 12 67-72 p/u & blazers since 1985. I stuck with them because I understand them very well & know every nut & bolt on them. I'm nothing if not tenacious. THANKS AGAIN . YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW MUCH YOU'VE HELPED. John :beer:

1stSarge

There are hundreds of youtubes that show how to use the multimeter. Finds some and practice, practice, practice.

The diagrams are for reference and you just connect the dots.

Translating them to the actual wiring in the vehicles is where the fun begins.

The wires themself are not labeled. The diagrams show numbers but that is for reference only. The only thing to go by in the vehicles is wire color and size.

Read the first few pages of the troubleshooting section. It explains how to read the diagrams, what the symbles are and what the wiring labels mean.

It may take a little while but you will be able to fix the issues and learn more about your truck.

Look at it this way.......Would you rather learn yourself or pay someone to learn it for you?

I had never seen a CUCV up close until a couple of years ago. Now people here think I'm an expert........Jokes on them....LOL
whatever...
you know we dont believe you...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, since the M1009s get pretty decent mileage and October is still 7 months away, I think you should start planning on attending the GA Rally. I'm sure you will have this ride operational in no time.

JUNKYARDJOHN

John, since the M1009s get pretty decent mileage and October is still 7 months away, I think you should start planning on attending the GA Rally. I'm sure you will have this ride operational in no time.
I would sure love to. It would be great to meet all you guys in person. I don't have any doubt that I'll have my M1009 & my M1031 up & most all of the bugs worked out by then. At my age you only buy magazine subscriptions... 6 months at a time. :p But (good lord willing) I'll be there, with a big cooler. Something tells me I'm going to want to buy quite a few frosty cold ones, for all of the help ,advice & information I've gotten here already..... not to mention.. the future. THANKS John

JUNKYARDJOHN

Well.. I made a forray into town yesterday & bought two ten foot long rolls of fusible link wire. 12 gauge & 16 gauge. It was less than $10 total. I always was under the wrong impression that the fusible links were the big dia. black rubber covered connectors. I'll chalk this little incident up as just a freak accident or happening that I'll probably never understand. I don't think I'm one of those helpless, afraid to get greasy, always needs something under warrenty, know nothing pukes, but I'm kinda technologically challenged with electrical stuff. I have no idea how this computer-internet deal works. I don't really understand it, & have come to the conclusion that there is some MAJICAL STUFF going on in that big black box :):). I'm awful glad it does though, even if I'm amazed every time I do something like post a picture. I SURE APPRECIATE THE HELP & ADVICE. I will learn all this stuff & learn it forever. John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks