• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Someone hit my truck!!

onemanarmy

In NC you have to have insurance if you get a temp tag and that would be if you didnt get it inspected first. Unless its from a dealer then you could get away with it for a short period of time. The bank will freeze your account if you dont have insurance or change companies without them knowing. A fly by night buy here pay here place probably doesnt care one way or the other. Im going outside to dig a hole in my yard just incase someone hits my deuce.
That is if you are honest.

Too bad most people aren't.

Lots of ways to get a plate without insurance.

wiggall

A long time in Idaho they pass the mandatory auto insurance law. You had to show currant insurance card to get your plats, or sticker. People would go get their insurance, get their plates, or sticker. Next day go cancel their insurance policy! It was written into the law that the INSURANCE PROVIDER was to inform the SHERIFF if you canceled your policy, and he was suppose to send out an OFFICER , and pull your plates! But that part never happened!

army70deuce

Quick update: Every year my truck is in the father's day car show, I have my own dedicated spot at the end of the street in the median. This makes life easy because I just drive to the barricade and pull straight in avoiding the official registration line that my truck would never negotiate anyway. Well I had the new axle installed and bled the brakes the morning of the event. Truck started up fine and more importantly it stopped fine. So I move my truck, so my father could get his 1962 Porsche 356B out and do some more checks while he heads on over. His house is maybe 1 mile from the event. I pull out his driveway no problems, go to a traffic light (1/4 mile) and turn right. For those counting that's 2 turns and no issues. I then go another 1/4 mile and pull up to turn next to the hospital. I'm feeling pretty happy at this point...Then.....I pull through the light making a slight left next to the ER (45 degree turn) go another 30 yards and the truck jerks, and then jerks again, and that's when I realize I have no steering. there's nothing that causes a pucker factor like losing all steering in a 14k lb vehicle. Manage to get it on a side street and I have 10 degrees left turn and no right. Luckily when I picked up the axle I also bought a really heavy tow bar (2 man lift). 30 minutes later I say screw it, this is not ruining my day and walk 1/2 mile to the car show meet up with dad and then proceed to enjoy my day. Later that day a friend with a Ram 3500 towed me 1 mile to my house (done using dad's driveway) and get it parked on the street, where it still sits but with a super single conversion in progress. Best I can figure when the woman hit the truck and pushed it against the curb it managed to crack one of the gears in the steering box and it finally broke off when I drove it to the car show. I can reach into the engine compartment and turn the steering column by hand with no resistance. As a side note I have the hydraulic steering upgrade that uses the Saginaw 710 IH and have never had an issue with it until this point. Now to source parts and a person to fix it....one day this truck will drive again. Attaching some updated pictures, one is to show how much that axle was bent, but at least the damage has paid for the new 395/85R20s with adapter plates.0614161709.jpgIMG_0400.jpg0707161944b.jpg

Last edited:

daytonatrbo

Holy cow. That's one fubar'd axle.

Glad you were able to navigate the "excitement" without anyone getting hurt. Hope you have enough left to fix the steering.

You might be able to go back after the insurance since additional damage has been found. Just need to figure out how to prove its related.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks