• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Someone near NC with a BRDM2 or similar to drive?

Mac53

Hey all,
I'm still doing a lot of research into buying a BRDM2. I'm pretty set on it, and I think I should be able to work out all of the details of the import. That being said, my main concern is that I really have no experience around these, and I have never been able to sit in or drive one. I'm a short guy, and I want to make sure it is something I would be able to do, especially with the small front windows.

Does anyone have, or can tell me a member who has a BRDM2 or a similar vehicle with the restricted vision for the driver in or near NC (RDU specifically) that they would be willing to let me check out? I'm more than happy to drive a ways, but I can't make it half way across the country.

Much appreciated all,
Marcus

Augdog1964

Marcus,

Short would be a valuable asset for a BRDM-2... The Russians were looking for 5 foot 4 or less... I'm 6 foot 2 and we had one in recently... very tough for me...

Mac53

That's a relief! I'm about 5'5-6, so I should feel right at home then. I would still love to see how it is to drive in one though. My m37 and Pinzgauer both share excellent viability..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Short?!

LOL, I sat in a T55, more than once and my feet are on the gunners peddles and my butt is in the CDR's seat and my head is out of the hatch.

As for BRDM2, my experience with the last one that got near me was met with the wrong end of an AT4.

Malyutkaman

At 5'5" you'll be fine. I'm 6'6" and it's just about impossible for me to operate the clutch and brake on mine. Other than that it's ok. Visibility in anything armored is usually less than desirable and best done with a spotter, but the BRDM is better than some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks