• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something binding up

dstang97

in 4x4 there is something binding up real bad. It seemed like it was the drivers side but I took everything apart on both sides and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I thought it was a bad steering u-joint or locking hub. This noise is very loud.

what else is left bad TC or drive shaft?

My cardan joint seemed a little lose (not springy) like my other ones but did not think twice putting it in. did not seem that bad

Any suggestions????

UPDATE on post 18

Last edited:

dstang97

the truck hops when it does it it almost felt like a locking hub going in and out. but everything looks fine. I checked bearings, steering u joints, and locking hubs. what ever it is its load and does not sound good.

trying to find out what else it could be. would a bad transfercase sound like that work fine for 15 feet they make a nasty clunk?
or bad front driveshaft.

this is on my m1008

dstang97

it happens turning and going straight both but more when the wheel is turned. This was in 4 wheel low i have never had it in high. only does it in 4wd.

Last edited:

dstang97

Does it do it in 4wd with the hubs unlocked?
I will have to check back with you on that right now it is all torn apart and I'm gonna get the rotors turned tomorrow. I think I forgot to check that. I was so convinced it was a bad locker I tore right into it. I needed to do it anyway.

1986Blazerk5

I will have to check back with you on that right now it is all torn apart and I'm gonna get the rotors turned tomorrow. I think I forgot to check that. I was so convinced it was a bad locker I tore right into it. I needed to do it anyway.
I think its bad to put it in 4wd with the hubs unlocked it makes your transmission spin free when its in drive

Chieftawny

It will spin the front ring and pinion but i dont think it should hurt anything. thats how you drive in the tight woods, in 2wd low range. sounds like a bad outer axle u-joint.

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

no it will not hurt anything running it in 4x4 with front wheels unlocked.The only way the trans will free spin in drive if the transfer is in nuetral. I would look good and hard at transfer case and front end for a bearing problem or joints, put front axle on stands put transfer in nuetral and spin front shaft bye hand. If nothing felt like bind lock front wheels spin again (bye hand) should be able feel the bind you are talking about, if still nothing have somebody turn and hold steering wheel to right then left while you spin shaft. Sounds to me you have a bearing going or already gone bad or a bad joint. Even with no play a joint can be bad and starting to freeze up. Take front shaft loose turn wheels and with hub locked spin each wheel one at a time with the other side unlocked should be able to find your bind good luck sometimes thing can be so noticable yet so hard to find!! Good luck let us know what you find!!!

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

you will get a little bind when you turn I understand you have a front locker in it thats the case you will get a little bind at lower speeds and the bigger the tire the more you will notice it

blitzengine

Does this happen when you are on the asphalt? If so you should not be in four wheel drive at all, it will cause your drive train to bind because the truck is putting traction on all wheels.

Chieftawny

if everything is in good shape, driving in 4wd on the asphalt wont hurt your driveline. it will make your tires bark, and wear them faster, but i wont hurt your driveline. i drive home from rausch creek alot in 4wd in my jeep.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no it will not hurt anything running it in 4x4 with front wheels unlocked the only way the trans will free spin in drive if the transfer is in nuetral I would look good and hard at transfer case and front end for a bearing problem or joints put front axle on stands put transfer in nuetral and spin front shaft bye hand if nothing felt like bind lock front wheels spin again bye hand should be able feel the bind you are talking about if still nothing have somebody turn and hold steering wheel to right then left while you spin shaft sounds to me you have a bearing going or already gone bad or a joint even with no play a joint can be bad and starting to freeze up take front shaft loose turn wheels and with hub locked spin each wheel one at a time with the other side unlocked should be able to find your bind good luck sometimes thing can be so noticable yet so hard to find!! Good luck let us know what you find!!!

Guys, PLEASE try to use better capitalization, punctuation and sentence structure in general. I know we're not all English majors here, but it really would improve the site, to use proper grammar.

I am NOT picking on anyone here, just trying to stress we have a rule and it needs to be followed as best as possible.

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Please do your best to use proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!
Thank you

dstang97

No the front axle is an open diff. This happened on dirt not on asphalt. I know exactly what it should be like there is something def wrong. when I first put in the drive shaft I spun it to put the bolts in and everything seemed fine. Thats why I thought it was the front end, but I took everything apart minus the king pins and everything looked nice and clean and axle u joints were nice and greased. Thats why I think I have a bad Cardan joint or bad TC.

It was raining all day so when it stops I will investigate some more I will jack everything up and test the 4wd on stands. I do have some extra driveshafts so I can test that. If it still does it I wana say its a bad TC.

Thanks for the responses

kapnklug

Perhaps a slipping chain drive in the transfer case? Had a blazer once with that problem, made a **** of a racheting noise but only when under load in 4wd (going uphill, flooring it, etc)

dstang97

UPDATE: Took apart the whole front axle and everything was looking real nice. Changed the brakes and rotors while I was in there. Had the front wheels up in the air and I try to move the front drive shaft and it was locking up. like it was in 4wd but it was in 2wd. I then put the transmission in neutral and the TC in neutral and the same thing. So my transfer case is acting like a NP203. no neutral at all. That would explain why my front drive shaft seems like it has a lot of wear on it. So I guess I need a new one.

markinnh

Um may seem silly but if your in low range 4 wheel drive ON DRY PAVEMENT the truck will tend to hop especially when taking turns...also open the diff case and check for metal peices, if none, new oil and dont forget the LSD additive which is only needed in the front as the rear is a locker
and does not require the additive, although some use it anyway to help quiet down the locking pins

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks