• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something concerning in the TM

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not very common with the multifuels. It seems to happen more to the Detroit motors as the(if I remember correctly) fuel rails leak and/or the crankcase oil seals leak into the combustion intake.

Usually with the multifuels, the fuel shutdown rod gets stuck in the "WFO" position. If starting an unknown multi, I suggest FIRST THING to do is take the fuel shut off lever off and make sure that lever underneath moves freely.

glassk

1-5. LEVELS OF MAINTENANCE
ACCOMPLISHMENT.
a.
(A, MC) Army and Marine Corps users shall
refer to the Maintenance Allocation Chart (MAC)
for tasks and levels of maintenance to be performed.
b.
(F) Air Force users shall accomplish maintenance
at the user level consistent with their
capability in accordance with policies established
in AFM 66-1.
c.
(N) Navy users shall determine their maintenance
levels in accordance with their service
letters HR added to the number. These manuals directives.

two use a chart, two make a decision,...;)

mbehne

Not very common with the multifuels. It seems to happen more to the Detroit motors as the(if I remember correctly) fuel rails leak and/or the crankcase oil seals leak into the combustion intake.

Usually with the multifuels, the fuel shutdown rod gets stuck in the "WFO" position. If starting an unknown multi, I suggest FIRST THING to do is take the fuel shut off lever off and make sure that lever underneath moves freely.
Good suggestion!!! I can say without question, I will not make that mistake again. As easy as it is to do, I might just make it a spring ritual even on the one I know!

Dipstick

I agree with gimpyrobb. The only two diesels I've had run away on me were both two cycles. One was a Detroit 6-71 and the other a Fairbanks-Morse generator. In the case of the Detroit the manual air flapper valve in between the air cleaner and supercharger to care of it. The Fairbanks-Morse stopped when it's bearings seized. It was burning lube oil due to an improperly mounted supercharger, which also jammed the emergency air cut-off valve open. We rebuilt it and it ran for the rest of my four year enlistment.

In the case of Detroits, a stuck injector rack or leaking fuel injectors can cause the problem. There is also the the issue of leaking supercharger seals. In addition the scavenging air box on a two stroke diesel almost always has some oil present in it.

Dipstick

They are speaking in terms of a "run away engine" where for some reason the engine continues to get fuel and increase RPM until it self-destructs. This is sometimes caused by fuel in the oil reaching a high level which results in the fuel/oil mixture getting sucked into the cylinders and not being able to shut the engine down normally (ask me how I know this). It can also be caused by a malfunctioning fuel pump. When this happens the only way to stop it is to cut the air supply completely off. Otherwise you run for it.
Wreckerman is talking about fuel oil dilution. We used to measure it on large diesel generators. Anything nearing 5% fuel present in lube oil was considered dangerous territory. We measured it by using a viscometer.

Dipstick

I forgot to mention that the main reason for doing that was not run away engines but crankcase explosions which can and have killed sailors.

Dipstick

Way, way, way too much ether! I'm surprised you didn't blow the head off it. Only a light vapor of ether in the vicinity of the air intake should be used. Never, ever spray a stream of of liquid ether directly into the air intake!

DeucesWild11

I'm going to keep a towel handy in the deuce now to cover the intake, I have a snorkel so it's easy to cover.

My old Wain Roy backhoe recently likes to run away on me from time to time, so I installed a fuel cutoff switch under the dash which I have used a few times now.

Scary stuff..

Dipstick

I'm going to keep a towel handy in the deuce now to cover the intake, I have a snorkel so it's easy to cover.

My old Wain Roy backhoe recently likes to run away on me from time to time, so I installed a fuel cutoff switch under the dash which I have used a few times now.

Scary stuff..
Yessir DW! The first time it happened to me I really puckered up. You might have a leaky injector or a worn governor in need of adjustment. Is your hoe a two or four stroke? Sorry if I'm over-posting guys.

Another Ahab

That's no over-posting. I'll take all the info I can that might inform on this issue.

And I'm just hoping like H*** I never run into the "fun" of a run-away myself!

DeucesWild11

Thanks Dipstick, backhoe has a 172 ci Ford Diesel engine and from what I heard back then they were gas engines converted to Diesel, don't ask me how, it runs and that's all that I know. I had a really badly clogged fuel filter which I had to take out and replace with a newer style filter since no one could match up the old one. I think some gunk must have gotten by it and messed up something up in the injector or governor. After some running with the new filter the problem seemed to work itself out so now for the most part she's running well. But every now and again she tries to run away and I either use the hydraulics to slow her down or go for the cutoff.

Thanks!

Dipstick

You're welcome DW. The governor only sees lube oil, but dirt in an injector might cause it. Some injector designs employ a finely lapped check valve who's mission it is to prevent fuel dripping into the cylinder between injections strokes. I would try adding a small quantity of diesel fuel treatment to the tank. It might help.

DeucesWild11

Thanks, I did put in some fuel treatment. I think that is what may have broken down some gunk in the first place and clogged the first filter, I already replaced the second one and the third is now looking dirty, however they are the small in-line filters which are easy and cheap to replace. Thanks again.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your mushroom doesn't vibrate off while driving around?
Not in the last 4 years. The tube of the mushroom has a cut in it that lets you squeeze it tight enough to hold on. It doesn't take much pressure to keep it there.
It's held on for the last 4 years while we are out doing our Dirt Track Travels, so it's seen WAY MORE vibration than it would have on pavement. I can still pull it off easily.

Dipstick

Thanks LowTech

Thanks LowTech. That's good to know. I thought about going to the end of one of the cuts and making a perpendicular notch for a sheet metal screw in the filter housing tube the mushroom goes over. That way you would push it home and then turn it a few degrees kind of like a turn signal bulb socket. I'd leave the head of the screw up a bit. I'd only have to turn it a few degrees and pull off like usual.