• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something to check?

jimm1009

What you more experienced owners think about pulling the differentials on a new-to-me truck.
I know that is has been decommissioned since November of 2007 and sitting outside of course. Is there any advantage to pulling the differentials out for a good looking over?
Could this perhaps prevent any problems down the road that I'm not aware of?
I do have the shop and the tools and the TMs and so forth.
I know that a lot of time you don't want to fix it if it isn't broken but these are probably very expensive to rebuild so just wondering if any PM could or should be done other than the usual pinion seals and other related axles seals, bearings, and brakes which I will do any way.
** On a side note, I am looking to buy a couple of torque wrenches that will be needed down the road. Seem to be some good deals on e-bay for used tools. Wheels bearings 50 ft. lbs. & 150 ft. lbs. Drive flanges 85 ft. lbs. Lug nuts 350 ft. lbs. (torque stick could work for this too).
Are there any torques much higher than 600 ft. lbs. that anyone knows of? It's not hard to find a ratcheting, click type torque wrench of 100 to 600 ft. lbs.
Just collecting my thoughts in advance of the coming project. Most engine stuff is less that 100 ft. lbs.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim

Westech

CPL
I would not pull them apart for just the sake to look at them. First you would know what to look for, second why risk the chance of getting dirt, paint ect in there. We know how muck paint and crap are on the trucks. I would just change the fluids and if one looks all messed up I would keep a eye on it. The only time I have ever seen a axle/gears go bad is due to a accident or misuse.
with a deuce is best to have a tq wrench in 3/8 drive and 1/2 inch drive. you will want 150 foot pounds at least in the 1/2 drive. Dont worry about the lug nuts just slam them on with a air gun, you can get tq sticks in the amount you need to install the nuts (tq sticks: I have never used them, if you have a brain cell left you can just slam them on with the impact gun. I always recheck them before I take her out for a drive with a breaker bar )

Srjeeper

Jim,

If it's not giving any indication of a problem, I just drain the fluid, check it for metal, and replace with fresh. Then in a year do the same, now you have something to compare each time. Most all our trucks sit more than they run, but that's not to say things will never break.

That's just my .02........ :D

nattieleather

X3.... There should be no need to pull the diffs...they are big and heavy anyways why get a ruptured disk.....just drain as stated above and refill and enjoy your ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks