• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sometime charges, sometimes not.

Guyfang

Staff member
Don't run the set to long without flywheel cover. The engine can get to hot. Triple Jim is right. It can take a while to get the battery voltage up and the set takes much longer to fully charge then a car.

Razerface

I guess i do not know how to measure the output. I am needing to measure amps?

I will look at my meter tonite when i get home to see if there is a setting for that.

Triple Jim

In post #18 I pretty much explained how to measure the current. You configure the meter for reading current (amps), break the charging circuit somewhere, and reconnect it with the ammeter leads. Then when you have your answer, you put things back the way they were. You'll probably need to unplug the red meter lead at the meter, and plug it back in to the "amps" socket for the test, and remember to put it back when you're done. If this doesn't make sense, please get someone who knows how to do this to help you the first time. After all, your charging system is raising the battery voltage in use, so there's no hurry.

Guyfang

Staff member
Triple Jim,
It looks like to me that Razorface could disconnect wire P68B16 at TB6-1 to make the measurement. TB-6 is located right next to the DC volt regulator/rectifier. And yes, if your not sure how to do this, get some help.

Triple Jim

Yes, he could certainly do it that way. I check mine by taking out the fuse and putting the meter leads on the two solder tabs on the fuse holder, so no tools are required if the fan shroud is off. And if it's on, you can get at the current from the fuse cap side easily enough.

Guyfang

Staff member
I thought as long as the cover and shroud is off, TB-6 is right there. We measured at the cap also, but now days my hands just are not so steady anymore.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an echo of the second part of post#18...my meter invariably climbs, slowly, to indicate charging over an hour or so of running.

Guyfang

Staff member
I don't think you have a problem partner. The generators, MEP-002 and MEP-003's operated that way. You need to give it a chance to charge up, and later you should see the meter go back down. If the meter will not go up, (show a charge) or it will not go down, you have a problem.

Razerface

I think it charges too,,,the original problem was the gauge working then not working,,,still not fixed since i got off track,,,.
I will still check per post 18 though, since cover is off.

Triple Jim

Right after starting, the current will be about as high as it can get. As the battery charges and gets close to the regulator output voltage, the current will taper off until it reaches the level that the control circuit, fuel pumps (etc.) use. If you start the engine with the charging fuse out, you'll catch the maximum charge current when you first connect the meter.

Use some caution, because one of the fuse terminals is connected to the battery positive. If the other meter lead accidentally touches the grounded metal enclosure, the meter, configured for measuring current, will try to short out the battery.

Last edited:

dangier

Use some caution, because one of the fuse terminals is connected to the battery positive. If the other meter lead accidentally touches the grounded metal enclosure, the meter, configured for measuring current, will try to short out the battery.
BTDT
I replace the meter amp fuse regularly.....:???:

Razerface

I was asking about the charging current, not the voltage. That will give the answer about the condition of the charging system.
I think i did it right. On the fuse leads, when i touched the leads of the meter, it read 5.2 amp,,then quickly, within 1 second,,went down to 4.3 then steadied up at about 3.9. Good? Bad? Ugly?

Triple Jim

That sounds like normal charging. The more the battery is discharged, the longer you'll see high numbers like 5.2 amps or more. Once it's fully charged, you'll see only the current it takes to run the fuel pumps and other 24v control system parts.

Razerface

Thanks for the help guys. The 003 is back together and in it's corner of the barn waiting on a blizzard.

i'll be back to bother you all in a week or so when i get time to work on the 002!