• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sooo, I test drove a deuce today..questions for the bobbers

ccf460

I went and test drove a deuce today. A M35a2 cont. engine, the body is ready to fall off the frame(rust) , the brakes took 4 good pumps to slow it down from 25 mph on a dirt road (was scared to go any faster with no brakes). To say the least this vehicle seemed worn out, and ready to collapse. I did get a basic "feel" of what it is like to drive one ( interesting shift pattern).My questions... Does a bobbed deuce accelerate,stop, turn any different than a stock one? I really had this built up in my mind as the ultimate vehicle, even though the one I saw, I believe was a very poor example of the race. I don't expect a new truck feel, but would like basic competency. I would love to drive someones bobber, before I write this off. Or at least get the general opinions of the people who have driven both. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Each truck has its own characteristics, even from M35 to M35. Sounds like you found one that needs to be in hospice care.

Don't use a neglected POS as your basis. Go find a different one.

hwcurtice

^ useful response.

I've never driven one and I have to agree. Every rig is going to be different. Remember, you're talking about trucks that run over 30+ years old on average. They will have their own quirks.

Find a better one to test.

joshuaz223

a bobber drives somewhat better but it's still a big old simple truck with little or no conveniences. if you like strong and simple you are all set. if you want instant gratification go somewhere else.

Jimma

A bobbed truck in my experience will steer a little easier, stop somewhat shorter and fits in a parking lot space real nice. It seems like you can just manuver it around easier. You have lost an axle, roughly about three feet of frame, eliminated over 3000 pounds and a lot of rolling resistance. So yes it does drive differently but is still a big truck that needs good brakes.

RodUSMC1962

I have never driven a bobber but would love to have one.I do not drive to fast,and I especialy do not crowd my stops,always down shift and coast to a stop,appling brakes at the end.:beer:That is the way we were instructed in the USMC in the 60"s.My truck is 60 years old this year and even though it is in excellent shape I am always aware this is an old truck with old style brakes.

ccf460

Let me give a little more info: I drive a 38,000 lb. fire truck for a living, so big and unwieldly are areas of familiarity. The deuce did not like to turn well at all, an average 2 lane dirt road was like a 9 point turn around. Acceleration was so so (was kinda prepared for it ), but seemed like 55 mph was probably not possible. The brakes were toast, so not able to gauge that aspect. I liked the rough ride, noise,etc. I am just wondering how the characteristics change when bobbed or shortied. And yes, I think the one I drove is on deaths door, although it ran like a top, hopefully it is a sign of their general durability. Seems like a deuce would be around 8000~9000 lbs. when bobbed or shortied, just curious as to the change. Is there anyone in my area that wouldn't mind showing theirs off a little?

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

:ditto: Good point, the way the truck is geared you can almost stop it by downshifting. I first drove my deuce with a wicked hangover.. then again without.. totally different experience.. Definitely want good brakes though..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks