• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sorting out new M1028 Starter and vacuum hose questions.

rsrxc700

Have a few questions on getting this M1028 on the road again. Here's the quick back story.

Picked it up 2 weeks from Sheriffs dept. w 33k miles on it. They owned it since 1996 when they got from military with 13k on it. Tires looked new but had a 2010 date code , so been sitting a while. Drove it home after a jump, Drives and runs good. Started good w new batteries.

Spent the last week going thru it to see what it needs. Been reading a bunch on this most awesome forum , have downloaded TM's.

So here is where I am at so far:

New batteries, tires, heater core, one caliper hanging up,

Volt meter inop, (ordered 300 ohm resistor. )

New Glow Plugs, just bought all 8, (60Gs) glad I did, only 3 ohmed out good, thankfully only one was swollen. (Were Wellmans)

Gen 1 was not charging, diagnosed bad alt, now at shop getting rebuilt.

Cleaned and replaced inop lights and sockets in gauge cluster.

They had top of the Glow Plug relay wired to front 12v battery not sure why, hooked factory wire coming from resistor back up and have 12v to glow plugs and wait light seems normal. (will make sure GP card is functioning correctly)

QUESTION: Key OFF I have 24v to top of GP relay, key ON I have 12v to TOP and bottom lugs. Is this normal or problem with resistor?

They had a push button starter. Wired from rear battery to switch in dash, spliced in to purple wire going to starter. Hacked is more like it, right next to exhaust manifold, See pic, yikes. Again, not sure why. Have 24v at purple wire at stock starter relay when key in start position.

QUESTION: Cant find other side of purple wire they cut going to starter , any clues on factory routing to starter or where to look. ?
Is it ok to run truck with gen 1 removed ( w belt removed and wires taped? )
Also have a plug with purple wire a diode in it along firewall, is this right? (see pic)

One more question: I need to replace the vacuum port plug on the IP, (see pic) it is cracked and deteriorating along with most other rubber hoses and needs to be replaced. What is this part called? Anyone have a part number?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

Keith_J

GP resistors are fine. Resistors only drop voltage proportional to current, with glow plug relay off, there is zero current so zero voltage drop.

The two port rubber plug on the vacuum regulating valve is no longer made. Direct connect with Top Tube To Transmission.

Diode is normal, iirc, for the water in fuel sensor. There are others.

rsrxc700

Thanks, makes sense to me now on GP relay. Didn't realize at first that the rubber plug was separate from the valve, I just ran new hoses no problem .

Found the purple starter wire when I dropped starter down. It is in the rear wire harness where it teed down back of engine and went between the heat shied and block to starter. Could not see it from up top or with starter installed. They must have damaged the wire pulling starter and then just did that hack job instead of taking time to fix it right. It also did not have the rear starter brace, which I ordered, along with new bolts.

Is there any problem with running engine without Gen 1 while its out getting rebuilt ? I can see why a lot of guys have a extra alt on the shelf ready to go. Anyone have a core for sale?

Attachments

cucvrus

Where is MPLS? And you can run the engine with 1 alternator . Yes isolate the wires to avoid contact with any other wires or ground. I have some rebuilt alternators. I never had to put a value on them because I have that many of them. I have new ones and rebuilt ones. Be careful running the engine without the support bracket. It can do a lot of damage quickly. Good Luck.