• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sound Deadening on my Humvee

Waschbrett1981

Hi Guys,
my name is Marcus and I am from Germany.
I just received my 4 door softwood 1990 humvee with 6.5l and 3 gear I am very happy with this real man vehicle.

But my wife requested that I do some sound deadening as it is by far too loud, when we drove together with our 2 joint kids.

Can you recommend which areas in the vehicle I should isolate first to get the best result.
i already bought alubutyl material, which is the best for sound deadening. This material ist also quit heavy.

thanks for your help

Marcus

Attachments

rjf189

Hi Guys,
my name is Marcus and I am from Germany.
I just received my 4 door softwood 1990 humvee with 6.5l and 3 gear I am very happy with this real man vehicle.

But my wife requested that I do some sound deadening as it is by far too loud, when we drove together with our 2 joint kids.

Can you recommend which areas in the vehicle I should isolate first to get the best result.
i already bought alubutyl material, which is the best for sound deadening. This material ist also quit heavy.

thanks for your help

Marcus
The video HoveringHMMWV posted is a good one. There are others on YouTube (ModMafia has one I believe) if you search. I'm not familiar with that material, but I would focus on the firewall, doghouse, and floor in the front first. I have some LizardSkin that I have not yet sprayed in mine but plan to spray it pretty much everywhere, and then also use DynaMat in the areas mostly likely to transmit noise.

Where are you in Germany? Can you drive it on the autobahn? I just got back from a 2-week business trip there (Cologne, Ingelheim, and Frankfurt), and can only imagine how much a HMMWV would stand out there given--at least from what I saw--how small most of the cars are and almost no trucks or SUVs. Defender 90s were about the biggest thing I saw.

Waschbrett1981

Thanks for your help so far.

I found in an other forum the followIng recommendation for noise reduction:

—- The first things are the rubberised airhorn, fitting the DWF kit rubber elbow below the mushroom cap air inlet, fitting some rubber strip between the fan solenoid (Cadillac valve). —-

—- fit insullation inside the beam under the windshield (there is a cover you remove in the engine bay under the cross beam that gives access ——

does it makes sense for you guys? Is this a real noise reduction?

can anybody explain more in detail what I have to do to get this change installed as well?!

thanks

Action

newer trucks have preformed silver pieces under the tunnel (sides and top). they run from front of body by the tires all the back to the c-beam. these probably reflect heat, too. they may only be for heat, I don't know for sure.
Get new floor and tunnels pads, OEM. I see so many trucks for sale (by public) with all of the interior pads missing

AAVP7

Hi Marcus,

welcome from me, too. All of those sound-dampening things that you mention above will help a little bit, but I would not expect too much. If you put insulation inside the beam under the windshield for example, sound will still be transferred directly from the engine bay to the drivers compartment.
Early Humvees had black rubber insulation pads on the inside of the fire wall, but I think by 1990, those had been deleted. Some people retrofit them but that´s a lot of work.

Frankly, you will probably never get a Humvee to a decent noise level. It´s just what it is, a noisy, big old truck.

On longer trips, I personally use an active noise protection headset from Peltor, with build-in radio and bluetooth, so I can use my mobile with it.

@rjf189: Yes, we may drive Humvees on the Autobahn in Germany, and we do so ! But honestly, you better stick to the slow right-hand lane with a Humvee overhere. But it sure sticks out everywhere. The width is a problem sometimes; you can´t use the drive-through in the local McDonalds here :ROFLMAO: .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks