• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sound proofing, is it worth the money and time?

cucvrus

Do these Energy Suspension mounts dampen vibration as well as new OEM ones would?
The GM OEM mounts were still available last year when I looked and my cost was over $100. each. The next option was the Energy Suspension. They work fine. And they may not be a vibration free as a Cadillac Escalade. But if the entire truck was that plush I would never have bought it in the first place. They work and fit will. I drill a few new short bolts and you are set to go. I have pictures of them being installed in my Terminus M1009 thread. If you would like to take a look see. Good Luck.

Last edited:

mtnbikerfred

I'm pretty sure i could talk my way out of the ticket citing new Kalifornia law allowing hearing protection in "heavy equipment" ;p These are "active", passing sound through electronically. EQ'd, and limited to 85db. They weren't cheap, but we can carry on a normal conversation at 60mph. With the windows down... They also have Bluetooth for my phone and music. And they work awesome for shooting.

tim292stro

For accuracy, I would recommend you don't even bother with the heavy equipment clause (of course be aware I'm not a lawyer). Just stick to section "d" of CVC 27400 where they really get down to the meat of why they don't want people wearing headphones:

"27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a
headset covering, earplugs in, or earphones covering, resting on, or
inserted in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of
the following:

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate
injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.
..."

Emphasis added by me.

Of course, growing up half deaf... I wear my hands-free headset in my good ear effectively blocking my actual ability to hear sirens, and that makes me wonder: why is this law around if we allow totally deaf people to drive? Don't bother asking that in a traffic court [thumbzup].

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Of course, growing up half deaf... I wear my hands-free headset in my good ear effectively blocking my actual ability to hear sirens, and that makes me wonder: why is this law around if we allow totally deaf people to drive? Don't bother asking that in a traffic court .
I wonder how the self-driving cars will deal with emergency equipment?

I guess we'll find out soon, what do you think 3-5 years before they're common?

mtnbikerfred

I am seriously looking into soundproofing as well though. Any thoughts on filling the roof with expanding polyurethane foam?

tim292stro

Use a slow low-pressure expanding foam for that - a quick high pressure foam might swell your roof and pop in your ceiling. That is done on modern cars, as well as filling the roof pillars. Make sure you put in any wiring tubes you plan on needing first, it gets much harder to do after you've foam filled things :beer:

MarcusOReallyus

For accuracy, I would recommend you don't even bother with the heavy equipment clause (of course be aware I'm not a lawyer). Just stick to section "d" of CVC 27400 where they really get down to the meat of why they don't want people wearing headphones:
So the moral of the story is, know the law in your jurisdiction, and have a copy in the vehicle for that inevitable chat with Officer Friendly, and keep your cool while you explain it to him. And remember you still might need to explain it to a judge.

After that, remember that being right is no guarantee of being found not guilty. aua

Of course, growing up half deaf... I wear my hands-free headset in my good ear effectively blocking my actual ability to hear sirens, and that makes me wonder: why is this law around if we allow totally deaf people to drive? Don't bother asking that in a traffic court [thumbzup].

We're talking about the law here! Don't confuse us with facts! :rules:

:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks