• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sounding board towing question

kraut83

Hey guys,
I have being going through threads for months now about using a m1008 for towing. I've read everything from 12k lbs to its rated 3k, with lots of mixed reviews(and some figures too out there to mention). I was hoping for some honest, realistic and experienced opinions on what I have in mind.

I've been debating on doing some travel work to increase my income. To make this a bit more economical I would do this in a camper. The long term goal is new truck and camper. But to get new would take about 2-3 years. What I have is a m1008 I've been steadily working on over the last 7 years and it's mostly been just a farm/firewood/work/toy truck.

The cucv has is a new to it motor, I replaced anything rubber when this was put in, fluid filled harmonic damper, new fan clutch, alts, ps pump/gear box, heavier leaf springs and shocks, hitch receiver, king pin rebuild, HD steering damper, doghead relay, cleaned electricals(no gremlins) and the paradox cooling upgrade. So far it drives like a dream compared to what it was.
I have a rebuilt IP on the way from the old motor(with the option of dialing it up 10% according to the shop) and have been considering a 4l80e swap with a trans cooler this fall.
Is it reasonable to use this set up to pull a 6k camper with in a 200 mile radius of home about 6-12 times per year for the next 2-3 years until I can afford a new/er truck and camper? After the new set up the cucv would go back to its usual work and the occasional trip into the woods. And the new set up would be for the next 10-15 years.

The camper I don't have yet but can get used and "cheap" across the street with in my current budget. Its 6k GTW, 4900 dry if I recall. It has trailer brakes and a weight distributing hitch.

I'm really hoping the cucv will limp me along until I can move up to something better, so I can expand my range with my travel work. Thanks for taking the time to consider this guys.

Jeepadict

If you read the military manuals you will not find the answer to your question and to the purists its not possible.

Based on the references I'm reading from the GM Herritage website the 1008 should have a GCWR of 13,500 lbs. So, in theory a guy deducts the curb weight of the truck from the GCWR and that will give you the approx safe towing capacity of the truck. Compare that number to the hitch configuration rating of your choice, and the lowest of those numbers will be the safe trailer size.

Final determination is when the combination rolls across a certified scale: to maintain safe (liable) operating limits within DOT regulation you must not be overweight on any single axle, GVWR, and GCWR. The individual axle ratings will be on the identa-plate on the driver door jamb. The one thing some neglect to confirm is the individual tire weight ratings; they must add up to be equal or greater than the individual axle rating.

Of course you'll need to install a brake controller an appropriate plug at the rear bumper as anything over 2500 lbs is required to have brakes by law.

Note: I've been told on multiple occasions the aftermarket 2" receiver hitch for a K30 is not bolt-in compatible with a CUCV requiring clearancing of components to allow installation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

kraut83

I've already put a class 3 hitch receiver on. I went through and calculated all the weight limits and technically the highest number ive calculated with the best springs available is 12.6k gcwr, maybe I missed something. I have read the 13.5 aswell, it's also on gm's old commercials, the highest I saw in the heritage data is 10k. I couldn't get any of my calculations with parts at hand/available on market to 13.5k. Currently my rear springs are the limiting factor and would need upgrading to get past 9k. The door jamb is with military specs. Which are not the 13.5k in the heritage data. My understanding is to get it recertified with a higher gcwr is next to impossible. In the 200 mile radius id be traveling there are no scales to my knowledge.

Jeepadict

Most reasonable/rational Squarebody owners I know with a C/K30 (no matter the config) keep their trailer weight in the 7-8k with a weight distribution hitch as their safe working load limit...if using as a work truck, then 8k to low 9k lbs would be my absolute max. Anything more has potential to stress 35+ year old machines more than needed. If a guy were to stay in this ballpark I'd see no need to scale except for entertainment purposes.

I use my 03 2500 Suburban as refrence for stuff like this as it has a max tow capacity of 9900 lbs with an 8600 lb GVWR. I don't bother loading it heavy...that's what our Dmax DRW is for. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've already put a class 3 hitch receiver on. I went through and calculated all the weight limits and technically the highest number ive calculated with the best springs available is 12.6k gcwr, maybe I missed something. I have read the 13.5 aswell, it's also on gm's old commercials, the highest I saw in the heritage data is 10k. I couldn't get any of my calculations with parts at hand/available on market to 13.5k. Currently my rear springs are the limiting factor and would need upgrading to get past 9k. The door jamb is with military specs. Which are not the 13.5k in the heritage data. My understanding is to get it recertified with a higher gcwr is next to impossible. In the 200 mile radius id be traveling there are no scales to my knowledge.
Just try to remember that two trips safely loaded - not at the max - will cost you a LOT less than pushing the limits. Especially if something breaks. Yes, gas and time and wear and tear is worth something too but the old saying "Better Safe Than Sorry" definitely comes into play.

kraut83

Definitely better safe than sorry. Not trying to win any races either. I would have up to a month between work sites to get there, and set up the camper. As far as pulling the tractor, that might happen once per year if that. Probably have a new truck by the time I'd need to move it. Which Kubota do you have?

LT67

Definitely better safe than sorry. Not trying to win any races either. I would have up to a month between work sites to get there, and set up the camper. As far as pulling the tractor, that might happen once per year if that. Probably have a new truck by the time I'd need to move it. Which Kubota do you have?
3301.... and I'll never buy another one lol. Their "compact" wheelbase design does not lend itself to stability.

kraut83

Yea thats part of why we went with the 4701. It's got a slightly larger frame and wheel base. Also went with r4 fluid filled. Can max out the FEL before it gets unstable. It's a bit of a confidence booster knowing you don't have any issues pulling that. How bad is it on grades? I was debating on having the IP tuned up a hair, read it opens up the truck a bit. Have you done anything like that?

LT67

Yea thats part of why we went with the 4701. It's got a slightly larger frame and wheel base. Also went with r4 fluid filled. Can max out the FEL before it gets unstable. It's a bit of a confidence booster knowing you don't have any issues pulling that. How bad is it on grades? I was debating on having the IP tuned up a hair, read it opens up the truck a bit. Have you done anything like that?
I have not touched the injection pump on my 85 m1008. No idea if the guy I bought it from turned it up either..... the ole 6.2 definitely rattles though lol

If I hit the bottom of a grade at 55-57mph, it'll usually start to lose speed depending on how steep and how long the grade is. I also have 315 75 r16 mud tires on the truck as well. Not really sure how those tires effect the pulling power of the truck...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks