• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sounds like my M109A3 is SOLD

tom2147

Meaning Sitting On Lot Dead. Another SS member was kind enough to look it over for me at the GL location and it says on the hood no brakes and will not slave start.

You'd think they would add a picture of whats written on the hood with the auction listing pictures haha.

Yes i know preview before buying, but the truck sure looks pretty lol.

The no brakes doesn't concern me as much as the "will not slave start" At this point i will hire someone to haul it the 300 miles to my house.

The point of my thread is to ask if the batteries are totally toast would that prevent a slave cable jump start? I know when my cars battery died it would not take a jump but after replacing the battery it started right up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, it would not prevent it from slave starting.

Yes, it can.

Tom, PM me when you get the truck home. I might be able to look her over and see whats going on. Sometimes its as easy as batterys, other times its a gummed up Fuel control valve.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that if you left the slave connected for some hours to a running truck with a charged bank of batteries that you may get the dead batteries up enough to crank. Emphasis on may.

Rick

gimpyrobb

You would be better off removing the bad batterys and hooking the slave cable wires to the + and - wires. Just don't remove the slave cable while its running with no batts.

jeep-Jeep

always start off with fresh batteries .
I run 31 type batteries .
To date I am servicing 26 of them between the trucks .
I got a m35a2w/w for real cheap as a parts truck that said will not start on it
Well it has a great running engine .
so do not count your chickens untill you check it out for yourself :-?

davey8943

... Just don't remove the slave cable while its running with no batts.

I am assuming this does bad things to the Alternator, but what would happen?

Fire? Melt? Just stop working?

And what would actually be damaged? Alternator? Other wiring? Something else?

... AND ... An even better question.... Do you know by experience? :D

Thanks,
Dave

gimpyrobb

It plays heck with the voltage regulator at the very least. The alt would go bad. I know from reading posts made by people smarter than I.

TexAndy

Did he say if any of the accessories had juice when he flipped the switch? If so, did the starter make any noise at all when he pushed the button?

If nothing else, you could try to push/pull start it.

The brakes could be simple, too. Might just need to be bled. Or the WCs might be stuck. Both are easy fixes.

gmayor

pull start

That's what I was thinking. I have pull started my trucks with dead batteries. I think I did it one time with no batteries and it started up? Probably wasn't good for it, but never noticed a problem after.

hdmax

If the batteries are toast, than yes that can cause it to not start with a jump, also you may check for a broken cable or burnt up slave receptical.
But before cranking it over under power, I'd first turn it over by hand, and listen for any abnormal sound coming from the engine.
These trucks will start with no batteries, but take the fuel away, and it is a no go.
Tom, if you need any help, PM I'll get you my number.

Last edited:

tom2147

Thanks everyone for your replies, and a special Thank You to gimpyrobb for your offer to help!

He stated the batteries were dead, and the brake pedal went to the floor.

The good news was the truck has very little rust, full tank of fuel and he said the tires were excellent to like new.

Very tempting to try and get her road worthy and drive her home. With that full tank of hopefully good fuel the recovery would be fairly cheap. But Mr Murphy likes to follow me around so I'll play it safe and have it hauled.

Thanks again, :beer:
Tom

tom2147

Hdmax,

Thank You :) didn't see your reply until after I posted. I'll certainly keep your offer in mind!

Also forgot to mention in my last reply I could remove the batteries from the deuce I already have at home if I were to decide to try and drive the truck home.

If the batteries are toast, than yes that can cause it to not start with a jump, also you may check for a broken cable or burnt up slave receptical.
But before cranking it over under power, I'd first turn it over by hand, and listen for any abnormal sound coming from the engine.
These trucks will start with no batteries, but take the fuel away, and it is a no go.
Tom, if you need any help, PM I'll get you my number.

Carl_in_NH

Yes, it can.
I didn't expect to hear that; can you tell me what would cause the truck to not slave start with dead battries?

I'm thinking that a shorted cell in a dead battery would start boiling the battery - but wouldn't keep it from starting. A disconnected slave connector, as stated, would be another fault that would prevent it - but I'm assuming no one has done that (perhaps incorrectly - since you'll find them in all kinds of states of disrepair).

Before selling one of my M35A2 lawn ornaments, I'd started it from a dead battery state a number of times with a slave cable - never had an issue doing so.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked mine up from Wisconsin, both batteries had shorted cells, but the truck still slaved off pretty quickly. I can't think of any other reason that slaving wouldn't turn the truck over, other than the wires from the slave receptacle were disconnected (notice I said turn it over rather than start it). The markings on the hood don't differentiate between starting and turning over the engine, so it could be anything going on.

Tom, when you do get it home, PM gimpy or myself, and I'll make sure he get's over to your place to help out some...I can then shanghai him to help out with a few things around my place before I let him go back to Cincy...LOL. Good luck with it, and there are friends close by to lend a hand if needed.

tom2147

Thanks Speddmon!

Still amazes me how generous and willing to help everyone is at SS :) Sure hope with my living so close to interstate 70 I can be of some help to others in the future.

I'm going to make every effort to attend Haspin so I can meet all you fine gentlemen :beer:

When I picked mine up from Wisconsin, both batteries had shorted cells, but the truck still slaved off pretty quickly. I can't think of any other reason that slaving wouldn't turn the truck over, other than the wires from the slave receptacle were disconnected (notice I said turn it over rather than start it). The markings on the hood don't differentiate between starting and turning over the engine, so it could be anything going on.

Tom, when you do get it home, PM gimpy or myself, and I'll make sure he get's over to your place to help out some...I can then shanghai him to help out with a few things around my place before I let him go back to Cincy...LOL. Good luck with it, and there are friends close by to lend a hand if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks