• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for 24084 Paint?

JDToumanian

Hi Group,

I'm looking for a few gallons of FS 595B 24084 (the color of 1960's 24087 per DDoyle's research) but I see that Gillespie does not offer it. Should I go to a Sherwin-Williams dealer and have them mix up some? You fellas who have used this color in an oil based paint, where did you get it?

Regards,
Jon

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Unless they recently changed their formula, Gillespie's 24087 is too brown. With Aervoe I worry about it fading to pink. My instincts are telling me to get automotive acrylic.... I don't care about the cost, I want a quality, long lasting paint job in the correct color. Can acrylic be painted over oil-based enamel? I suspect the truck will need to be blasted to bare metal....

I was disappointed with the color of Gillespie's 24087 when I painted my deuce with it 3 years ago, though it has faded to a more tolerable color. The issue now is that I purchased a winch kit and hard top.... The winch is tan and the hard top is camo. I want to paint these parts and put them on my deuce. There will be a noticeable difference because the deuce's paint has faded, but I don't care, as long as the color of the new parts isn't baby-diaper brown. Then I will start repainting everything else with the new paint, section by section, like Bjorn did with his 8x8.

Jon

Katahdin

I like the way your paint job turned out Jon, sorry you're having some remorse!

Based on unoxidated original paint areas on my 66' I'm convinced Gillespie 24087 shot on a red primer and thinned with xylene is an accurate paint color for the truck and that era. I've also read some statements from purported Army veterans saying that's the shade of olive drab they remember.

Opinions to the contrary I think are due to kodachrome and ektachrome color photo/exposure distortions, misidentifying what is marine green paint, and/or field painters getting creative or making due with what they can find in the supply depo.

But if you want more green, less brown, it's your perogative. Sorry tho, I don't have an experience with acrylic over oil based enamel painting.

JDToumanian

Thanks... I like it too, so I don't consider it 'remorse', just a learning experience. When I remove original parts, like the front bumper and brackets which are off right now, and so expose unfaded original paint, the difference between the original and the Gillespie is noticeable.... Gillespie is definitely more brown. So while I don't hate that color, I seek to find paint in the greener shade.

I hadn't realized that I never finished the thread on my deuce.... Thanks for posting the link!

Jon

JDToumanian

I stopped by my local Sherwin Williams store today... They referred me to the Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings store in Riverside, CA (about 50 miles from me). However, they did have a FS 595B color fan there and I was able to gaze on 24084 with my own eyes. It looked black! It had only the slightest hint of green to it. It will be interesting to get a quart and do some testing...

Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I got mine direct from the manufacturer, Randolph Products: Randolph Products - Manufacturers Of Mil-Spec And Industrial Coatings

As an aside, immediately after painting the truck, I laid a NOS piece of sheet metal on the fender, the paint was a perfect match. Now, after 3 years of weathering, it has faded VERY slightly. I am pleased.

HTH,
David Doyle

PS: Thanks for the tip the other day - been on the road a lot.

JDToumanian

Thanks David! That definitely helps.

What exactly did you order from Randolph? I assume you told them "FS 595B 24084" but in what paint? They seem to have a lot of different product lines.... Maybe I can have them look up your last order. :cool:

Did you use this to re-paint your compressor truck? How bout a pic?

Regards,
Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..........Then I will start repainting everything else with the new paint, section by section, like Bjorn did with his 8x8.

Jon
Jon, I'm very satisfied with the Aervoe 997B (24084), Vietnam era OD SG. There has been no fading or any evidence of turning pink after almost 4 years. The paint is particularly attractive after a rain shower, which seems to bring out the original sheen.
The paint is an almost perfect match to the original, which is visible on the inside of the frame and other places.
After I clean an area, it's primed with Rustoleum (aluminum gets Zink chromate) and can sit for a long time before it's finished with the Aervoe. Paint thinner is used for wiping the primed area before spraying on the Aervoe.
The paint is not usually advertised, just ask your dealer for "997B"....

Attachments

JDToumanian

Bjorn the XM757 looks fantastic.... That's the color all right. I remember you bravely chose Aervoe despite the reputation for fading, and I remember you said it was a new formulation. I'm glad it's held up well, and I'll definitely consider using it. My 3-year-old Gillespie paint looks more like 30 years old, so the Aervoe has definitely lasted longer.

I may go with Randolph this time after David gets back to me so I can report on it here as it weathers.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David suggested Randolph some years ago and when I called, I was given minimum orders and that sort of thing and it was simply not in my budget. The Aervoe comes in six-packs (cans) and is a lot easier on my wallet. I also consider function before looks, so doing a paint job on the truck for me is a piece by piece type of thing.

JDToumanian

When I tried to order Randolph paint, they wanted my social security number and other information irrelevant to the sale or use of paint... I opposed giving that information so I was not able to order from them. Maybe if I had given all they request I would have then been disappointed by the minimum order as you were.

I ended up using Gillespie again... Maybe I should have gone with Aervoe, I had forgotten how brown Gillespie is when fresh, but it doesn't really matter. My deuce will get one more paint job out of me, and that will be after I have my big metal shop building where I can park my deuce in the corner. What's the point of doing a 1st class paint job when the truck sits outside?

Jon

Gunfreak25

I am in the middle of rattle canning my M220 in the Aervoe 24087 which is the earlier browner olive drab than the later 24084. I would agree with Cranetruck, I like doing small sections at a time with their 6 pack cases of the stuff. Wire brush loose paint, degrease oily areas, powerwash, dry and spray. I only use the Rustoleum primer (the great red stuff) in places that will be sealed or extended periods and need lots of rust proofing. I am quite pleased with the Aervoe thus far but I only just finished 1 case off 24 hours ago. Yuma is about the sunniest city in the country so I am hoping Aervoe fixed the fading issue as some have mentioned. Apparently their older recipe liked to fade to pink rather quickly. Sure is really brown, I love it! Looks like a giant shiny olive. Covers well and dries quickly. Smells absolutely terrible, lots of nasty solvents in the stuff and I am the kind that wears Hoppes9 as a cologne. Will report how the paint does after some time in
the hot Yuma sun.....for the price I like the Aervoe and it only takes 48 hours to reach my doorstep.

SteveKuhn

When I bought my truck it had been done w/ Aervoe 383 about 2 years earlier and looked terrible - Sorta tan, not pink, and you could powerwash that tint off. See photo attached. The cab/hood difference is accurate, not a shadow.

Last weekend I saw another done w/ Aervoe 24087, painted some years before and no such problem. The owner did point out that the bumper had been recently repainted and was far more green than the rest, which had cured to quite a dark brown.

I dunnooo if it was the entire line of paint, just a couple of colors, or what it was, but that pink/tan change was easy to see.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks