• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for door latch springs ? ?

jason@snakeriver

These have been common for the past 50 years in all the trucks. But I need to find a source for the coil door latch springs. There apparently are left and right hand sides.
I keep robbing old parts trucks, but I am running out of doors. :roll:

wiggall

I replaced my right door one with one from a left door. no proplem. It works GREAT! FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1969-1973

jason@snakeriver

An easy fix ! I opened up an M35 door and low and behold it had been repaired.
Open up the pinch fitting that holds the spring and throw away the bad spring. Next mash the pinch fitting back down into the plate.
Cut a 3.5" piece of 1/4" rod and weld it to the top of the latch plate. Install a 2.5" compression spring that slides over the 1/4" rod. Compress it on and weld a 5/16" nut on the end of the plate for the spring to work against.
Very easy fix.

zak

Jason a couple of years ago somebody on the "other m37 forum" made up a bunch for that truck. I would think there the same. I bought six at the time thinking someday I might need them. If you ask over there maybe somebody's (really anybody) memory is better than mine, could tell you who and where they were made up.

gunboy1656

Anybody know of a source for just the spring? I can't see paying the prices some of the places are quoting me for the whole latch when all I need is the spring. Prices vary from 40 up to 85 for the whole latch.

kastein

Got a pic or specs, particularly collapsed length and spring rate? There is a very good chance you can find something that will fit on McMaster with a bit of searching. Might not look original though.

gunboy1656

Got a pic or specs, particularly collapsed length and spring rate? There is a very good chance you can find something that will fit on McMaster with a bit of searching. Might not look original though.
Don't have pics or specs, I looked at McMaster and did not see anything close (would not be surprised if I missed something)

Only part number I could find was for the whole latch.

quadfourgtz

I'd previously discussed magazine springs for Grease guns with a spring manufacturer. If you can provide them something to go by, I'm sure they can make it. Sent up cost is the killer. Probably looking at $400-500 for each run (left and right). After that I would think the springs would be $1-2 each. I would be willing to look into it further. However, I wouldn't want to get stuck with $1000+ of springs for years to come.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks