• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for magnetic-base lights for MilVeh?

Mark3395

I'm hoping to pick up a nice deuce in GA, and it looks like I'll drive a 1009 down to pick it up (full of tools and parts etc.) then tow it back with a GI towbar hauled with the 1009. I'll tow back at 50-55 with the deuce. Would like to splice into the wiring to have turn signals but doubt I'll have that opportunity.

Anybody have an easy way to tie temp lights from the deuce to the towed vehicle... like the commercial magnetic-base temporary trailoring lights?

pilot

Mag lights

Do you know the part number of the 24 volt bulbs at Horrible Freight? I made a magnetic 24 volt, military plug, tow light kit for friend of mine and had trouble finding double filament bulbs with the correct base indexing, brake light filament would be dimmer than taillight filament.

Greg Blanchfield Devils Lake, North Dakota

FreightTrain

Banned
If you cannot get a plug cut the pigtail off and crimp bullet connectors onto the wires.Just pull the connectors for the taillights off the deuce and splice the wires in.Or get a pair of stock deuce rear tail lights,some magnetic bases and make some jumpers off the deuce tail light wiring to the new tail lights.Add some cheap wire loom from Ricerzone some duct tape and some magnets to hold the wires on the body of the CUCV.You can make a good set of tow lights for a few bucks.

ida34

The 1662 is the 24 volt equivalent to an 1157 used in most magnet tail light kits. The 1662 is wired backwards compared to the 1157. I cut off one pin on the side of the 1662 and was able to put the bulb in backward and it worked fine. There is no true 24 volt equivalent to the 1157.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of the military towing lights but before that I made a similar item using 2 composite lights bolted to a 2x4. Crude but worked. I also rigged a pair of lights on the back of a travel trailer for DR using a simple piece of angle iron. Found an old trailer pigtial and stripped the wires down and butted in some 4 flat trailer wiring. Simple? Yes. Crude? Yes. Operational? Hell yes!

jimm1009

towing the M1009

If you will be towing the M1009 on several different occasions like me, you can do something else.
What I did was to go under the hood and splice in a four pin trailer connector used for civy units. This only disconnect the rear lights.
When I need to tow my CUCV I simply unhook the plugs and hook in my "trailer harness" from the Deuce to the CUCV and switch the 12 volt tail light bulbs out for 24 volt bulbs and reinstall the lenses.
If this is a one-time thing then you may not want to do this but I used to tow my CUCV about every two weeks and now it is once or twice a year but it sure is handy. The end hooked to the Deuce is the standard 12 pin plug used for any military trailer.
The magnetic lights can be purchased at Walmart, any trailer hitch selling facility, U-haul, Pep Boys, etc. You do need to switch the 12 volt bulbs out as mentioned above.
There are not too many flat surfaces for these lights on a M1009 but perhaps inside the tailgate glase on some right-angle thin steel that is slipped donw into the tail gate from the inside.
Just food for thought.

Jim

Last edited:

GottaHaveOne

If you want to make your own, Truck Lite model Super 60 Part # 60207R are 24 volt 6" oval S/T/T sealed incadesant lamps, or Super 44 part # 44253R is a 17 diode LED 4" round(#44266R w/black flange) in 24 volt. The also make sevral replacement military lamps in 24 volt(last link), includeing the new 7" round LED headlamps. Dont drool to much it will short your keyboard out :razz:

https://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/w...10001&storeId=10001&productId=23758&langId=-1

https://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/w...10001&storeId=10001&productId=30661&langId=-1

https://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/w...0001&storeId=10001&categoryId=10857&langId=-1