• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sources for reference photos?

Person1

There's a GMV for sale on Iron Planet. While fantasizing about buying it and refurbishing it I was looking for photos of HMMWV GMVs. This has proven hard for a few reasons. They recently replaced the HMMWV GMV with a General Dynamics made vehicle of almost the same name and various branches modified their GMVs differently. Some have high-sides as seen here and here, others have a non-uniform slat setup here and here. (GMV 1.1 is behind the HMMWV in this last photo)
  • Does anyone know where I can find more photos of the HMMWV GMV? (Ideally ones less than 22 years old, from the Mid-East conflicts)
  • Do you know of a list of the modifications usually made to GMVs? (I know the shocks, suspension, bumper, engine(?) were modificed but I don't know what company sold the parts)
  • Maybe a TM or an official document that lists the modifications of the GMVs and ideally the manufacturer or NSN of the individual parts?
I'm especially curious about how they increased the height of the bed. It looks like they might've welded shoulder height steel plates onto the bed but some GMVs seem to also have large swinging doors on the back. I wonder how those were mounted and what company sold them and if it's actually as simple as welding on large steel plates...

Any in-depth info you can point me towards so that I can learn more about these would be appreciated!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like most things specops, the GMVs were non standard custom built creations over the years, probably no more that 200 per era were made (my guess). Lots of pictures by Google search. The “hummerkings” creations don’t count.

Person1

Like most things specops, the GMVs were non standard custom built creations over the years, probably no more that 200 per era were made (my guess). Lots of pictures by Google search. The “hummerkings” creations don’t count.
Still I wonder if there's a list of common mods. Here's another, more complete GMV (PLEASE SOMEONE HERE BUY IT AND RESTORE IT! lol)
Interesting to note, this GMV doesn't have a jury-rigged skidplate like the other GMV and the shocks look to be a different brand, maybe they really did just ask their favorite mechanic and then go with his suggestion. Here's a third GMV that does have the skidplate and shocks.

Maybe it's something I can FOIA.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the "receiver" looking mounts on top of the bumper with the thumb bolts for? I have seen this on another truck and was wondering.
WTH.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look like lateral mounts to stabilize the four corners and lift the truck to keep it level. Same stuff like what they use for mobile cranes.

Similar stuff on M1101/1102

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nah…it will go for waaay to much and get relisted…folks alos just have zero idea how bad the suspension is on these Rod Hall suspension trucks.
I have an Original M1025A2 GMV for sale with the Rod Hall suspension here at the shop.
What do you mean by bad? I can’t tell any difference in ride between my GMV and my M 1037.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you mean by bad? I can’t tell any difference in ride between my GMV and my M 1037.
well, an M1037 is a “Heavy” with non variable rate rear springs, so it also sucks, M1037’s are shelter trucks and many times converted to
fire trucks for the forest service.
have you ever driven an M998 or ECV/REV ?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well, an M1037 is a “Heavy” with non variable rate rear springs, so it also sucks, M1037’s are shelter trucks and many times converted to
fire trucks for the forest service.
have you ever driven an M998 or ECV/REV ?
Ok so by bad you mean rough riding unloaded. Yeah it does seem the hubs are bolted to the frame on both trucks when unloaded. Both ride ok with the S250 and all the GMV crap bolted back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks