• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sources of noise

Rodger

Hello All

I am picking up mu M109A3 on Friday. Can't wait.

I will need to reduce the noise level as much as possible.
Other than exhaust I am assuming that there is a lot of noise from the engine, drive train and road.

Planning to use a combination of dynamat, a noise absorbing paint, foam and carpeting.

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

Also can anyone tell me about noise level in the back?

Any comments are appreciated.

thank you
Rodger

Tlauden

Ditto, they are just loud, like mentioned a muffler would help, MAYBE the insulating material that you said might help a little, other than that I'm not sure what to tell ya, personally, the noise is one thing I love about my deuce, there's just something about a loud deuce you just can't beat :)

91W350

I have put almost 3,000 miles on y deuce since February and I still do not know where all the noises come from. It is just the nature of the beast. I wear ear plugs if I am leaving town.

jwaller

be careful with foam. I have found out that it traps a lot of water and these truck are about as water tight as a screen door and you will find yourself creating a lot of unseen rust and rot if you try to start foaming a lot of things.

keep it open so when it gets wet it will naturally dry out and not rot from the trapped water.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I wear shooters style hearing protectors....one of the reasons I am half deaf now is because of all the MV driving I did in the Army.

There is not a lot you can do unless you install a civy cab or do a lot of mods to the truck.

As noted above....it is the nature of the beast and one of the reasons I like it....especially my deuce with the whistler turbo.

If you want quiet buy an big arsed SUV.

runk

Lots of threads about mufflers, some with actual dB measurements. My muffler quieted the truck enough that I don't feel like I need hearing protection around town anymore. Still need protection at highway speed though !
Also a lot of threads about insulation for temperature and sound. I'm about 1/2 done with heat and sound insulation, still need to do the doors and firewall. It's made a big difference with the heat, not so much with the sound yet. I'm also replacing all the weather seals, I'm tired of getting rained on in the cab. Those seals I have replaced so far have made a big difference, and actually seem to work pretty well. But, I made all of the floor insulation removable, and try and remember to pull it up if the truck is going to sit for a while. Also used closed cell stuff, so nothing soaks up water. If stuff gets wet, I pull it out and everything drys pretty quickly.

motomacguyver

If we take a close look at a modern vehicle, All the doors have double sets of weather striping, Their is dampening on the inside of the panels, the hood top, the roof top, etc. Then there is a layer of felt also in a lot of spots to help with noise. Don't forget all the firewall insulation/dampening. And a modern vehicle has compound curves to all the body panels. (Which will cut down on vibration/noise?) The modern vehicle is also virtually airtight, and has close fitting body gaps and aerodynamic shaping for efficiency. Anywhere there is a spot for wind to enter = noise.

Is their A LOT of room for improvement – YES. Will it be like riding in a new Suburban – NO.

I think you’re on the right track for noise reduction. However, as mentioned, be careful of trapping moisture. My A3 has the foam mats and the damage is obvious.

Vfflang

I wanted to reduce noise as well so this is what I did

1>aluminum backed insulation on the underside and topside of the transmission cover plates

2> Hercules bed liner firewall,floors and doors ( WARNING sand everything before appling DO NOT cover over the rust )

3> Marine grade carpet floors and firewall.

Autocar

I used to be an engineer for a couple of heavy duty truck manufacturers and one of my projects was to improve the sound deadening. The very most important issue, which fortunately is the easiest and cheapest to improve, is to make sure that all cab openings are sealed. This seems so minor, but it the MOST important. Think of sound as if it was water and you are in a boat. The hull can be as thick as you want with as many layers covering it as you can add(just like sound deadening material in your truck), but if there is any hole in the hull, even a pin hole, the water will get in. So go thru and seal every crack and hole you can-windshield seals, door seals, seals around the pedals, holes in the firewall, seams around panels, wire and cable pass-thrus in the firewall, etc. Second most important is flat panel radiation and reflection. Any big metal panels will vibrate and create noise(drumming) so stiffen them. Also pad the areas so when sound does get into the cab, it gets absorbed by the paddings. This way, you hear the noise only once before it gets absorbed instead of having that same noise bounced around and around inside the cab. After that comes reflection and absorbtion. High frequency stuff(turbo whine) is easier to kill because it has short wavelengths and less energy. Padding with aluminum cladding works well because the aluminum reflects the sound and the padding absorbs the sound that gets thru the aluminum( the aluminum side faces the noise source). This works particularly well on the underside of the hood(cover the entire underside for best results), because a huge source of noise is noise coming off of the top of the hood and coming thru the windsheild. Low frequency stuff is the hardest to kill because it has long wavelengths and lots of energy(i.e., think driving next to a low rider with kicker speakers). This would typically be engine mechanical and combustion noise. Here you need thick, dense sound absorbers. Thick because the wavelength is long, dense because the power level. This would be something like 1/4 -1/2" thick reinforced rubber sheets(like recycled tires or truck mudflaps). This works best on the floorboards and firewall. Again, keep in mind that you want to seal everything so if you were to cut and fit sheets of rubber around the trans tunnel and firewall shapes, seal the seams with RTV or some sort of caulking. Putting a carpet over the heavy rubber would really help because you stop high frequency, low frequency, and reflected sound. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

oddshot

Lots of threads about mufflers, some with actual dB measurements.
+!

You might want to do a search for "noise" and etc both on this forum ... and over on the Deuce Hotrodding and modification forum.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some stuff on sound deadening over there.

oddshot

cornrichard

After the c turbo, the single biggest source of noise is bad hood hinges and side cover rattles. I put a d turbo and muffler on my truck. It really helped with the noise. I bushed the hinges on the hood and that made a huge improvement. I am working on the clattering side panels now. Keeping noise out of the cab is a good idea. Getting rid of noise so it cant get to you in the first place works even better.

JasonS

Even a full rear exhaust on my bobbed deuce, there was a ton of whistle noise from under the hood with the C turbo. You will be miles ahead in noise reduction if you get the D turbo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks