• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sourcing steel brake lines

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looking for a source for steel wire wrapped brake lines to replace a damaged line on duece. checked napa local but they dont carry that kind. any one know of a place to get this type lines thanks in advance TIm

deuceman51

Not even Memphis Equipment carries them. I asked yesterday, you will probably have to make your own. Just save the fittings and get a tubing flare kit. That is what I plan to do.

bigkaiser

I bought all new unbent lines with the wire wrap from NAPA last winter. They came in approximately four foot lengths. You will need the flaring tool and at least a couple of different types of benders. Use a single strand of 12 ga copper wire to bend up a pattern of where you want the lines to go to save some frustration as those original lines make some complicated bends.

jimm1009

brake line

A place that was advertising in Hemmings Motor News for several years comes to mind. Classic Tube in New York is one. I talked to him one time but have not yet used him. I found a NOS line for my M1009 so my search stopped there.
The web site is www.classictube.com and it still functions.
Attached are two pages from Hemmings Motor News August 2008.

Jim <jimm1009>

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did the brake lines on my -725, I used Classic Tube's services. VERY pricey, since I had mine done in stainless steel, but they did a top notch job.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Classic Tube is awesome, they have done a bunch of Mopar lines for me. I was even able to send them the factory tranny cooling lines for a '65 Belvedere and they built a perfect replacement set (repros weren't available at the time).

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ill go to another napa store in next town and ill send a email to classic tube to get a price on them, thanks guys for your help Tim

Crazyguyla

ill go to another napa store in next town and ill send a email to classic tube to get a price on them, thanks guys for your help Tim
Tim,

Here are the NAPA Part numbers

1/4 armor wrap 30 ft length BK 8131196, 60 ft length BK 8131199

I had the same problem when I was trying to buy brake line from NAPA. They didn't want to look in the catalog to order it. The guy had the "if it's not ont he shelf, we don't carry it" attitude.

Marcus

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
marcus i called my local as in the nearest town, told him the part numbers and wow.... he told me that in his book these are NOT listed as brake lines,, listed as heavy duty wire clad steel tubing, so he told me today after 2 i could pick them up. i got 6 ft peices and they look just like original stuff. ill go this afternoon to see if they bolt up and about the length. many thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, please post pics and part numbers for the stuff you bought. Glad you found what you were after!:-D

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
macus told me the part numbers on 1st page. i just called back local napa buddy and ohhh yes i can get those in around 4 hours from new orleans warehouse. they are 60 inches long so ill cut them to length they are not double flaired just single like a ford truck. the 60s are 8.00 each so they are cheapos. i am thinking i might change both sides while im into the front system. ill take some before and after pics this weekend

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, please look over you brake lines closely. I really think the steel lines on the deuce are double flared. I think all brake line need to be double flared(not familiar with Fords but I would think even they need it) I think it is standard practice to double flair all steel brake lines. European cars use a slightly different flare called a bubble flare. I think it's only appropriate to single flare fuel or vacuum lines. Please call a local brake specialty shop and ask them what is required. I only say all this to be sure your truck and you are safe.

I looked through the TMs and I only see the procedures to replace the flexible lines. The -34p shows the hard steel lines but I cannot fine the replacement procedure for these, anywhere. I am surprised.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
Ok I have been asked to post here. ALL BRAKE LINE ***MUST**** BE DOUBLE FLARED. Now all you dudes remember this.. I am MASTER ASE for 10 years and have been a tech for over 15 years. The only thing in life that is single flare is gas line (home heating lines) not fuel as in gas or diesel. A good place to get 3/16 and 1/4 brake line is NAPA. You can get the 25 foot roll in a box for around $25.00. Now I have said this before and I will state it again.. If your a freshman in the word of trucks and auto repair get the TM's and shop manuals and READ! It's everyday I see people who dont even change there own oil or add air to there tires buying huge EX-Military trucks and hitting the highway. Man I tell ya I know Im smarter then to jump in to a 20k truck that I know NOTHING about or even the darnest idea on how to fix and give her hell. Spend a little time and get to know things before we dive in to things.

Crazyguyla

Tim, the brake lines need to be double flared.

Doghead, the steel lines sre so much fun to replace. I've already replaced all my brake lines. It was a test in patience making all the proper bends along the frame. Spend time studying how the brake lines run along the frame and devise a way to take them out.

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2 has a general outline for removing brake lines.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
napa guys says only foreign cars are double flared. i am not second quessing you but does anyone have a pic of what one looks like. i found a kit at oreillys that might not be to high. napa mans has a double flair kit for 62.00 the ends on the new napa lines looks just like the ones on my truck???

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in chat some gave me a link with pics . i know what one looks like now, yes they are double flaired. out an then flaird back in. so i finally got it. the new lines are double flaired but i need to cut one side so ill be sure to get the right type kit so i dont have any leaks.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i got a kit from auto zone .. a loaner. got my line made up and flaired. looks super i checked lines.. no leaks.... but.... i have a small leak where the brass washers are. one washer from odiron was slighly bent. but as i tightend it up it flattend out ok. i did a couple more pulls with wrenchs. still slight leak. how tight should this be. i dont want to break it off into new clyinder???

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to replace a missing line on a truck I just picked up from Ft Sill so I did my advance search and found this thread.

Here is the NAPA info.
Brake Line - Universal Steel Hydraulic Armor Wrap, 1/4"; 60" Product Line: Balkamp

Part Number: BK 8131199
Price: $8.99

Armor Wrap Steel Line / Tubing (Spring Coil Wrapped), High Tensile Spring Armors Helps Protect Tube Against AbrasionsBrake Line Diameter : 1/4"

Brake Line Length : 60"
Bendable : Yes
Contents : Brake Line Assembly Adaptor
Fittings Included : Yes
Manufacturer : American Grease Stick Company
Manufacturer Part Number : BLX-460BKA
Material Type : Double-Wall Copperized Steel w/ Spring Armor
Tubing End Type : Double - Flared

I will cut it to length and double flare the cut end with a loaner tool from Oreilly's

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks