• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

soy?'s

tagjeep

I got some barrels from work to start collecting WMO.
The only closed top ones we had at the time are soy lecithin and soybean oil.
Do I need to clean them out? A lot of cleaning or a little?

'48Chevy6

I got some barrels from work to start collecting WMO.
The only closed top ones we had at the time are soy lecithin and soybean oil.
Do I need to clean them out? A lot of cleaning or a little?
Some folks report gel problems with the mix of veg oil and motor oil. Based on the following google result, I would give the barrels a token cleaning and fill 'em up.

From wikipedia

Lecithin can also be used as a release agent for plastics, an anti-sludge additive in motor lubricants, an anti-gumming agent in gasoline, and an emulsifier, spreading agent, and antioxidant in textile, rubber and other industries.

Tim

deuceaid

Banned
soy lecithin is an emusifier, with means it bonds to polar and non polar items ( chemistry lingo). It means it acts like soap, it will bond to water AND oil- making a gooey mess in the right proportions,,,,,,,Better clean it thoroughly!

GoinNutts

If you are planning to mix up a quart of WMO in the barrel you might consider cleaning them. If you are doing 40-50 gallons it will be so diluted you would not know the difference. Pour out as much as you possibly can and fill the barrel up with the WMO. If you clean the barrels what would you use soap and water? That is no good because you don't want any moisture in there.

hedgehog69

I know I wouldn't be concered with the veggie oil...but I am going to learn about lectithin. I recently got about 30 gal of it. Need to get to Goodwill and get a blender with glass 'pitcher'...see if will process into biodiesel