• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SP97...? Titleing..? Hep me.

TiredIron

I just picked up my fourth Deuce....a nice A3 from Ft.Carson. This is the first Deuce though that I have bought from GL. They didn't offer me any paperwork or anything that looked like a SF97 to help get a title. What is the standard procedure to acquire the 97 now that I have the truck?
Next question....being a A3 it was converted in 1993, so how do I find out what year truck it really is. And wouldn't it behove me to have it titled as the oldest year possible to be exempt from certain emissions issues if any..??
Lastly.....I'm going to bob this one. Do most of you who bob your trucks leave them titled as M35's...??? Or do you title as a new home built vehicle.
In Colorado it would be better if they knew it weighed #9500-10500 after bobbing.....then thinking it still weighs #13,500 and nailing me as a commercial vehicle which they have done on my other truck.
Thanks for any sound advice...or suggestions.

TiredIron

Last edited:

jollyroger

The SF 97 form you have to request from GL. You cannot recieve an SF 97 until you have taken posession of the truck/equipment that requires the EUC. This way all the registration numbers are submitted by you in your request. This way if there is a screw up it's on you. So be very careful to send them the correct numbers from the dash placard. The last set of SF97 forms I did 3 months ago cost me about $60 ea.

Since you have to request the SF 97 form using the dash placard the truck paperwork will come back to you as an M-35A3........I don't know if there is a way to request the SF 97 paperwork using the A2 numbers. I don't know if that would confuse the issue with GL. There may be a way to do it that I don't know about but I would be afraid to do so if that is not the numbers and paperwork that GL has on file for your purchase.

If you wait to get the title work done until after you bob it you can probably bring in a certified weight certificate from a scale at a truck stop rather than using the dash placard weights info. I have had to do this for other farm trucks that don't have the actual empty weight on the vin plate.

The other problem is now in CO we have to give them the purchase value of the truck rather than what we paid for it. Now they calculate the taxes you pay based on depreciation of the original value over how old it is. So again I don't know how you would register it under the original manufactured VIN.

wikallen

Well since not just one truck is used to convert to an A3, there is not just one number you could use. Since the truck was essentially "born" in 1993, I see no point in trying to title it in a fraudulent manner, causing a problem for you or someone else down the road.

jollyroger

Well since not just one truck is used to convert to an A3, there is not just one number you could use. Since the truck was essentially "born" in 1993, I see no point in trying to title it in a fraudulent manner, causing a problem for you or someone else down the road.
I would agree with that. I really think it would be a can of worms. I don't know about you all but I hate to eat worms. I'm just sayin'.

TiredIron

Thanks for all the information. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you understood my concern was more about titling a 2.5 ton truck that is being cut down into a 5/4 ton custom vehicle of which there is no legal or military designation. The truck/trucks were originally "born" prior to 1993...."born" again in 1993.....and will be "born" again the day I turn the welder off for the last time. As far as "Down the Rode"...:)...I would bet someone would notice it was three feet shorter and missing an axle......and not be to worried about the attempted commission of fraud. I'll check with the county and ask what they think about modified or newly constructed vehicles. I just know I would like to see it titled as a "Pickup" with a new designation.....as I have heard a few others have done.
Thanks again

TiredIron

jollyroger

That's all good and I understand what you are driving at but.......

At some point since you bought the truck from GL and not from a private party YOU have to apply for your SF97 from GL. Remember that this truck has never been issued a title. Therefore YOU have to apply for said title. You have to have a SF97 from GL in order to do this.

GL has the truck designated as a M35A3 from the DOD. If you expect to get your paperwork from GL as far as I know all the numbers you send back to them have to match what they have. What I am afraid of is that if you send them say the frame number off of this truck that should be from the "original" truck which may be say a 1971 AMGeneral M35A2C which is a number that is correct and on the truck but they have it booked with the dash placard number it may cause a lot of confusion at GL and complicate you getting your paperwork.

Now I don't know this for sure because I have always sent GL what is on the dash placard or frame placard for my SF 97's. So if you want to pioneer for us using the A2 frame number for your SF97 instead of the A3 dash placard you are welcome to. I suppose being a rookie to the SF97 process you could always plead ignorance to GL if they come back with a rejection on your paperwork. On the other hand it might go through just fine. I really don't know what would happen if you did that. And after dealing with GL on some things that became issues I really don't want to go down that road myself. I'm just sayin'.

At this point it does not matter what Douglas County says. You have nothing to present to them because you have not been issued a bill of sale and SF97 form from GL. Until you have those two things you will not be able to apply for a title from CO through Douglas County. And I bet DC does not even know of or have seen a SF97 form before. My county had no clue what it was. They had to call supervisor after supervisor until someone finally called the state and asked them what to do with it.

Furthermore you will have to have a VIN inspection performed and a VIN verification form to submit with your SF97 and bill of sale to DC. So if you want to go the A2 frame number route your paperwork will have to come from GL that way. Otherwise the SF97 and VIN verification won't match and you get a rejection from either DC or the state.

I know what you want to do and why. I feel your pain with this. My farm plates on the deuce are $368 and the 5 tons are $550 ea. And while you get good prices from GL all the paperwork and hoops you have to jump through are what's expensive. Wait until you get the DOD letter in the mail. It's no big deal but more paperwork you have to do and keep track of.

In my experience with GL you want to have as little contact with them as possible. Meaning you want to have your process as streamilned as you can.

TiredIron

I agree...mostly. I have been through the bonding process on several vehicles through the entire process in Douglas County with no problems. With nothing more than a bill of sale an inspection and a wait. You say I don't have a bill of sale from GL....isn't the "Paid in Full" invoice that they posted and I printed weeks ago a "bill of sale"...? Its what allowed me to take possession and remove from the base..? When people build a brand new Street Rod with a new frame-motor-and
fiberglass/steel body...they show up at the County Clerk with a receipt for all the goods, have it inspected and walk away with a new Title of Ownership.
I agree...it would be easier to fall in line....get the SF97 from GL....get a title in my name for an A3....chop the **** out of the truck....then deal with the insurance company...the County and law Enforcement down the road when someone questions why this truck doesn't look....weigh....or conform to any specs of what its registered as.....only the dash plate vin number.

TiredIron

Last edited:

AceHigh

Just another fun aspect of this is my A3 is titled as a 1993 but was apparently "built" in 1998. BTW this was the 3rd MV I titled and for some reason WV DMV rejected the SF97 and made me go back to GL and get an Arizonza tiitle. Took months! GL was very helpful. Anyway going back to DMV today for the 4th time to try to get the WV title.

Nothing is easy, is it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks