• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spacers to Raise the Seats

KamikazeKunze

Hey All,

Quick question for you all. I have my interior out for the new dash OER (POS) and roll on bedliner and then carpet with mass backing. Dang cab to TOO LOUD.

Question part. I feel like I’m a little kid driver grandpa’s truck. I’m 5’9” and it feels like I’m in a low rider. Anyone ever lifted or raised their seats?
I’d love and extra 2” so I can have a bit more altitude for a better vantage point.

thanks a bunch

cucvrus

I would make some spacers out of flat bar. Something solid so the seat remains solid in the mounts. If you use a pliable spacer it will just flex the floor pan and seat base causing stress cracks. 2 inch flat bar comes in sizes tin foil to 2" and that would work fine. Use the 3/8" NC bolts and space it as needed. I would span 2 hole with one piece as mush as possible distribute the weight out more evenly. just an idea. Have a great day. Flat bar is your friend when building seat mounts with out hacking and drilling the stock floor plan.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I raised the rear attachment points by 2”, using aluminum spacers.
Wife had the same complaint.
Now seat is a much more comfortable angle.

Unless you have a tilt steering wheel installed, also raising the front will put your thighs almost into bottom of steering wheel.

KamikazeKunze

Thank you ll for the ideas? I had thought of using spacers or a 2” stock to lift the seat. My concern is I like the pitch so raising the back and not the front might feel weird.
I may weld up a bracket for the rear because if it raise the front the since it’s at an angle the rear holes won’t line up.
or I just thought maybe if the slide rails are separate from the seat I can add the spacers between that.... I’ll keep you posted on what I find out and do if anything.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After back surgery, there was just no way I could get comfortable in that factory bench seat. I seriously considered selling the truck because of the seat issue, but then I sobered up I came to my senses. No way I am selling my truck, sober or drunk. Don't even ask.

First thing was to buy the HMMWV seats. I watched Ebay until I found new high-back ones and bought those suckers right then and there. Then I removed the factory bench seat and stored it up on my pallet rack in my woodworking shop. I positioned one of the new HMMWV units on the driver's side and sat in it, and through trial and error spaced it up off the cab bottom with varying thicknesses of wood blocks until it felt "right". I then fabricated a wooden frame with mounting tabs which, if everything was correct, would be used to fabricate an exact replica frame in steel. I then had my metal fabricator produce a Right Hand and Left hand frame in steel, painted them, and bolted them to the bottom of the new HMMWV seats. I now have wonderful comfortable seats with foward-backward adjustment as well as being able to adjust the seat incline. Of all the improvements I did to my truck (and there have been many), this seat modification may be the most helpful. Here are a few photos -

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you ll for the ideas? I had thought of using spacers or a 2” stock to lift the seat. My concern is I like the pitch so raising the back and not the front might feel weird.
I may weld up a bracket for the rear because if it raise the front the since it’s at an angle the rear holes won’t line up.
or I just thought maybe if the slide rails are separate from the seat I can add the spacers between that.... I’ll keep you posted on what I find out and do if anything.
Consider spacing between the seat and the track rather than between the track and floorpan.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It just dawned on me, you're working with bucket seats already if this is an M1010. I'd have to say, the seats in my 1010 leave you feel like your sitting in a hole.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found two seats in a wrecking yard, some kind of chevy van, and they raised me up about two inches. The front bolt holes lined up with the holes/nuplates in the floor too. I had to drill the rears though. The bonus was they adjust and recline.

The first pic shows the arm-rest removed. It's back on now.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks