• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spacing out front 5 ton two piece wheels for 1600's

Vintage iron

I have a M813 and I have just put on new 1600 R20 Michelin XZL's and two combat wheels on the truck. I have done my homework and know about hemmt rims. But I want to be able to rotate my tires so the tires will wear evenly. So just two are out of the question. Plus Hemmt rims are heavier and more expensive than combat wheels. The problem is that the front tires rub the steering arm and hydraulic piston in turns. I think I will need to make 1 1/2 spacers to so I can get my turning radius back.

I have a few options to make spacers. Machine down a 10 lug bud hub or make a spacer that bolts to the hub and has studs pressed into it, to bolt the wheel. I think longer studs and a 1 1/2 spacer is safer. I thought about bridge truck front spacers but they are about 4 inches thick. This maybe a little big. The newer five tons use 1600's what are they doing different?

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newer Army 5 tons use 1400's (M939A1/A2 series) or 395/85R20 (FMTV). I believe the singled USMC 809 5 tons used 1400s as well. Not sure what the solution is for 1600s.

Vintage iron

So people run two HEMMT rims on the front to space the wheels out, but the rest are stock five ton rims or two piece combat wheels. I am keeping all my tires the same so I can rotate them.

M813A1

I had super singles on my M813A1 and they were a set of 1400 on HEMTT rims and had no problems with spacing just flip the front 2 rims and they will offset the the outside and should be fine, and put the back on normally as usual ..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just throwing some ideas out there...

Take a pair of split rims and cut out the centers as a "spacer". Then use thimbles and nuts from a dual'ed rear to mount the "spacer" onto your hub, then the combat wheel to that. Course that'd only net you probably 1/2". The bridge truck spacers are going to push it out too far.

Vintage iron

I am going to try to use the 1 1/2 thick bridge truck rear tire spacers. I fellow member hooked me up with two spacers, ten longer left studs and ten longer right studs. I will post pictures soon. :D

surfdog

Here's pics of the front spacers - they are 3.5" thick.

Did not get any rear spacers when we had a chance to pick over the bridge truck at a scrap yard ltwo years ago. Wish I knew to grab them!

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Had an idea on the way in to work about this problem, on the way in this morning. if we put longer studs in the front hubs and us three, 1/2'' inch thick steel plate wheel spacers with this style bud nut. Then we should still have enough lenght to still have the outer nut to go fully on. Just a thought what do you all think?

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

Thats all i do with my trucks :) /\ works just fine, some people think it creates too much leverage on the front studs, in fact it gives some but nothing to be all tore up about, my 2 cents, i'd rather have a 1/2 more of leverage than not having enough threads :)

Vintage iron

just to update everyone. I put the bridge truck rear 1 1/2 inch spacer on the front of my M813 to spacer out my front wheels. It was a little bit of work, but It was worth it to get my turning radius back. Just a little tip. 900 series rear spacers will work, but M809 series would be better. The studs are a little shorter on M809 series trucks.

Oh yeah! you can hardly tell they are 1 1/2 wider.

indy4x4fab

Banned
just to update everyone. I put the bridge truck rear 1 1/2 inch spacer on the front of my M813 to spacer out my front wheels. It was a little bit of work, but It was worth it to get my turning radius back. Just a little tip. 900 series rear spacers will work, but M809 series would be better. The studs are a little shorter on M809 series trucks.

Oh yeah! you can hardly tell they are 1 1/2 wider.
nopics

Vintage iron

Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one! I got going and forgot to take pictures. You will need to take your drums and hubs off to press in the new longer studs. I bought my 1 1/2 rear bridge truck spacers and the studs from a fellow SS for $200. Not bad considering studs that size are like $7 buck each x 20 studs. It was no problem for me to take off the hubs and I checked out all the parts before reassembly. Now I know all my hubs have fresh grease and new seals. When you turn as many highway miles as me, it is good to know!

162tcat

Pop one off and take it into any heavy truck shop and they can get you longer studs. NAPA would work too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks