• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spare gas can

Deuce007

This is kind of a dumb question but how to you attach the spare gas can(jerry can) to the gas can holder on the drivers side of the truck. I am just wondering how to attach the strap to the can to keep it from flying off down the highway. pics would be great!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there 2 types of straps, a 1 piece that goes though the strap slots and UNDER the holder, a 2 piece that attaches to each strap slot that is on the holder

DeucesWild11

eagle, is that green gas can mounted behind the rear tire? Was that a stock set up or did you add? I would be too nervous that I would back into something with it or have someone hit me and boom.. Just asking not criticizing..:beer:

Josh

On a side note. I leave my jerrycans full of WMO when they are on my truck. That way if some jacks it and dumps it in there rig....hopefully it will fudge if all up. And the deuce likes WMO the same as diesel.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
eagle, is that green gas can mounted behind the rear tire? Was that a stock set up or did you add? I would be too nervous that I would back into something with it or have someone hit me and boom.. Just asking not criticizing..:beer:
Cans mounted on a M109 van. The van metal holding the flaps on is shorter than on a M35A2/3.

Attachments

eagle4g63

I have a pair of them back there, I put them there but did see them mounted like that many times and I believe a few on original military vehicles. Anyway like said I don't carry fuel in them, motor oil mix, which is what I run in my truck(plus the laugh factor if anyone tries to siphon them for their truck)

Anyway no worries about getting hit and blowing up!! first I am 12 feet away from them and second have you ever hit a gas can......it just breaks and spills all the gas-no big boom!! In order for it to blow you would need one or more things to happen.......enough compression(contained) in order to detonate(like in your motor) or you would need a large enough spark(after it has spilled all over and mixed with oxygen) I have tired many times to make gas tanks blow up.....it is actually very hard to do.

The worse I can see happening is a really bad accident, somehow involving flames, and my cans get ruptured and spill all the gas out and it travels to the flame and then WHOOSH larger flame that goes out when the fuel is burned up.

Again, all this isn't going to matter as I said I don't carry "gas" or "diesel" in them. When summer comes about I may even get one to swap out back there and fill it with water, especially if I get the second tank mounted that I want.

Attachments

caliber1

That's what I was thinking of doing, putting WMO or WVO in those cans. Mark them #2diesel and hope someone siphons for a newer ULSD truck.

I have a pair of them back there, I put them there but did see them mounted like that many times and I believe a few on original military vehicles. Anyway like said I don't carry fuel in them, motor oil mix, which is what I run in my truck(plus the laugh factor if anyone tries to siphon them for their truck)

Anyway no worries about getting hit and blowing up!! first I am 12 feet away from them and second have you ever hit a gas can......it just breaks and spills all the gas-no big boom!! In order for it to blow you would need one or more things to happen.......enough compression(contained) in order to detonate(like in your motor) or you would need a large enough spark(after it has spilled all over and mixed with oxygen) I have tired many times to make gas tanks blow up.....it is actually very hard to do.

The worse I can see happening is a really bad accident, somehow involving flames, and my cans get ruptured and spill all the gas out and it travels to the flame and then WHOOSH larger flame that goes out when the fuel is burned up.

Again, all this isn't going to matter as I said I don't carry "gas" or "diesel" in them. When summer comes about I may even get one to swap out back there and fill it with water, especially if I get the second tank mounted that I want.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I know someone on here has posted up pictures of a spare jerry can mount on the passenger side of an m809s truck, but I cant remember how they made it move-able so you could still get the battery boxes out.

eagle4g63

The passenger side spare gas can mount is kind of easy. You weld a hinge to the bottom of the can holder along the outside edge, bolt it to the step so the mount can hinge out and down, drill a whole thru the door in line with one of the rear holes on the holder, weld a nut to the inside of the door, run a bolt thru the holder into said nut to hold the holder from flipping. Use the holder as usual, when you need to get inside remove the bolt swing down holder. Not my pic, not positive who it was(I think darwin t) that posted it before.

Anyway as to the fear of blowing up with the gas can on the back......you do have a much larger target strapped right at the back of the cab on the passengers side(the main tank) and it has obviously been hit on a few trucks here so.....

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
The passenger side spare gas can mount is kind of easy. You weld a hinge to the bottom of the can holder along the outside edge, bolt it to the step so the mount can hinge out and down, drill a whole thru the door in line with one of the rear holes on the holder, weld a nut to the inside of the door, run a bolt thru the holder into said nut to hold the holder from flipping. Use the holder as usual, when you need to get inside remove the bolt swing down holder. Not my pic, not positive who it was(I think darwin t) that posted it before.

Anyway as to the fear of blowing up with the gas can on the back......you do have a much larger target strapped right at the back of the cab on the passengers side(the main tank) and it has obviously been hit on a few trucks here so.....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ling-passenger-side-jerry-can-holder-m35.html

DeucesWild11

Wow a stock option.. interesting and good points with the location being farther away from the cab, with diesel and or a WMO mix that would be allot less flamable than gas..[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks