• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Motor

fhu667

When I bought my deuce I got a spare motor with it that was supposed to be a running motor before the truck was parked and parted out. I've only seen this motor a couple of times because it is at a warehouse of a friend. However, it's getting time for me to do something with this motor. I don't know which specific multifuel it is, but I don't believe the turbo is mounted to it. I know there is an injector pump, injectors, and accessory brackets on the motor.

I'm not sure if I want to keep this motor or not because it's going to be a pain to transport and store in my garage. In the unknown condition it is in what are these motors worth? If I shell my engine and need to replace it, how hard is it to find another motor at an affordable price? Are there any easy ways to store these motors on a stand or some sort that would make it possible for me to roll it around in my shop?

I am just not sure if I should keep that spare, so I'm hoping someone will give me some helpful input.

Thanks!

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight alone is close to 2000 lbs so don't know about pushing it around. I've seen running takeouts from $300 to $800 plus.

fhu667

Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth to keep, and possibly not worth the effort to sell. I think a home Depot cart would be perfect to mount it to for keeping it in the shop.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just not sure if I should keep that spare, so I'm hoping someone will give me some helpful input.

Thanks!
That engine is a heavy piece of kit. If it is complete with bell housing and flywheel, around the 1500 lbs mark. I know, because I have one sitting in my garage. I use a 2t cherry picker to lift it and move it, if I have to. It is sitting there because I overhauled an LDS and this is now a spare....it runs, but badly. I have not decided what I want to do with it.

There was a time where a damaged or not-well-running Multifuel would be taken out, scrapped and replaced with a rebuilt one fresh out of a can. The supply of those on the market at something passing for a reasonable price is almost dried up. It becomes more and more necessary to actually repair and overhaul these engines.

If you think you will keep your truck, you might want to consider keeping the engine. If not, you have an engine to sell if you can get clarity about its condition. Does it turn over or is it seized? If it turns over, there is no shiny metal trash in the oil pan, the valve train works...well, then you might have a runner or at least an overhaul-able engine. No turbo is not a problem; they are still plentiful out there.

If you do not want to deal with that, you can consider disassembling it for parts (manifolds and heads probably most sought after, a good, non-dented oil pan is always a good thing etc.) but it is a pain to sell and ship all that stuff.

If you want it gone, there is the scrap dealer....1300-1500 lbs of scrap metal.

My five cents worth.

fhu667

Thanks Cattlerepairman. I would really like to keep it, and I would really also like a way to keep it off the floor and be able to move it if needed. I may end up welding something up on some steel casters. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, so a spare might come in handy.

fhu667

Motor can? I think you're talking about this, but I don't have one. I'm guessing there is a top part that bolts on top. That is a great idea.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fun fact about these engine cans is that they weigh in at about the same weight as the engine itself (a little less). The bottom half of the can (which is what you would use) is almost 500 lbs. The top is bigger and therefore even heavier.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a multi-fuel engine in a can that came with our Deuce. It took a while to get someone to come by the LZ with the ability to lift it out of the bed and down to the ground.... but eventually a contractor working nearby did it for us.

Later we acquired an M105 trailer in marginal shape to use as a "Tote" in case the engine needed to be moved or passed along to someone in need. Again, it took a while, but eventually the Gas Company had a contractor replacing gas meters in the neighborhood. He had a light front-loader/backhoe and, for a 24-pack of Dr. Pepper for his crew, allowed them to lift the can into the trailer. That little loader almost tipped forward on the first try with the load chained under the big bucket! So I had him grab a 1000# Iron Test Weight I have with the backhoe bucket for a counterweight, then went he lifted the engine and can I simply backed the trailer under the hoisted mass.

I share this to proclaim.... THOSE ENGINES ARE HEAVY !!!

...and they EARNED that Dr. Pepper, too!

Jericho

Well guys imagine a J -79 or a T-56 jet engine in a CAN , Some as long as 40 foot and then pressurized with 5 PSI of nitrogen after slamming a whole passle of 3/4 inch bolts around the flange , An LDS/LDT can is teeny , but HANDY . if your going to store it in a can, preserve it, add Mil-l-1010 oil to the fuel system , fresh oil if under 2 years and fog the out side with Marvel mystery oil, youll be happy you did. In AF jargon , you just pickled your engine, Nothing beats the first "lightOff" start on a Pickled Jet engine, if you didn't call the fire Department prior to lighting it off, Don't worry , they will come!

fhu667

Problem solved. We built a frame for it to sit on,and then put the frame on a cart. It's heavy,but can be pushed around the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks