• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire hoist project

Ford Mechanic

I've been kicking around building a removable hoist to pickup and remove my 395 spare from the bed and this is what I've come up with. I'm installing a trailer hitch on my truck and plan on mounting this crane to a adustable pendulm hitch reciver, minus the pendulm. No swivel, just lift push it over and let it down. It has a 1000# winch with good cable on it, do ya'll think the crane itself is heavy enough to lift 395's on stock or possibly A3 rims? I've had no dealings with useing these spare tire hoist it came off a 5 ton tractor, so I was looking to get input from someone more knowledgeable! Any weak points in what I plan on doing with it or reinforcement ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

gungearz

I know a few people that use the cheapy bed crane from harbor freight to load wmo barrels and their spare 395 in the bed of their truck... They can remove it and put it on the back in either corner of the bed....

Ford Mechanic

Well mabey I shouldn't have limited my search to just the M35 section....I'm learning all the time guys aua

@ 11Echo That's a good looking hoist, what's it wiegh and capacity? Any ideas on how your going to mount it?

@ gungearz any pics of their set up by chance?

gungearz

Well mabey I shouldn't have limited my search to just the M35 section....I'm learning all the time guys aua

@ 11Echo That's a good looking hoist, what's it wiegh and capacity? Any ideas on how your going to mount it?

@ gungearz any pics of their set up by chance?
No pics on bed hoist... You can pm eagle4g63 and I'm certain he will send you some pics of his hoist... It weighs about 40lbs. It has a 4 bolt bottom mounting plate... Just tell him I sent you...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm having trouble picturing how/where it will be mounted, but I would think it should lift the load pretty good.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It weighed about 154lbs in the crate. Capacity as much as 1000lbs.
A slide over or inner pipe mount, either above or below the bed. I'm still working that out on scratch paper.
I might even add an air/manual hydraulic cylinder to aid in lifting the jib using truck's air.

14430806_400x400.jpgMilitary winch lift 015.jpg

Ford Mechanic

I'm having trouble picturing how/where it will be mounted, but I would think it should lift the load pretty good.
The lift that you started with is what I was really looking for and would have mabey been easier to mount and it piviots, but I got this one at a deal and it was in town.

As far as mounting I was thinking to mount it to this
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...intle-mounting-plate-11-in-shaft?cm_vc=-10005
as I have a couple lying around from trailers we no longer have. Then inserting it into a trailer hitch at the rear so it's easily removable, and my troop seats still function.

Did you keep the first deisign or remove it after finding the hydro crane?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I think I like the first design better for the deuce. I'm probably going to put the blue crane on my M101 trailer.

So your lift will be at the back of the bed going straight up? I doubt you will have issues lifting the tire/rim up, but not sure it will be easy to get into the bed with out some kind of swivel/extension.

Ford Mechanic

I think I like the first design better for the deuce. I'm probably going to put the blue crane on my M101 trailer.

So your lift will be at the back of the bed going straight up? I doubt you will have issues lifting the tire/rim up, but not sure it will be easy to get into the bed with out some kind of swivel/extension.
Yep, in the back straight up or so I was thinking. If I mount it at a little bit of a lean to the left it would keep it from scrubbing the post coming up so much(and keep bloody deer off it a little more). That might be a good idea.... As far as swinging it into the bed I've not come up with anything yet. I was going to see how much swing I got out of the cable and reassess from there.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might use something similar to Gimpyrobb's original design to slide the main staff over.
It could be mounted below the bed between the frame rails or along side the rail on the outside with access under the seat or further inboard.

Above the bed floor the height could be just below and under the troop seat. Fold the seat up and drop the hoist onto the shaft. The hoist was built very stout.

Lift mount.jpg

gimpyrobb

That is a piece of 2 inch round I found and made slip into the spare tire hoist. THAT IS NOT STOCK. If you buy a 900 series spare tire hoist, you WILL NOT find that piece in there.

Just wanted to post that so no-one is surprised.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a piece of 2 inch round I found and made slip into the spare tire hoist. THAT IS NOT STOCK. If you buy a 900 series spare tire hoist, you WILL NOT find that piece in there.

Just wanted to post that so no-one is surprised.
I knew it wasn't a stock item.
I have plenty of round stock on the shelf in different sizes and lengths.
Bobbing the 1966 035.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Good looking truck Tomcat!

I finally got back to my hoist project I ended up mounting it a little differently than planned. But I got it mocked up and tested, it held fine no flex from the bed with the backing plate I used. The backing plate I made so long so I could attach it to the frame if it looked like I needed more support. Now just to figure out a place to secure it out of the way during transit. The last pic is my idea on where to store it, I'm thinking putting a mount there leaning the crane forward and pin it in. I did check it for hieght and with it there it measured 10 1/2 ft, so it's under max hieght and about the same hieght as the flag poles I made earlier in the year for it. Anyone have any better ideas?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks