• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire holder for 395/85r20 tires

jgusler

What kind of spare tire holders have you guys made for the 395 tires. I just bought a set of Wheels from Longs and got 395s on the way just wondering what I could do with the spare tire instead of just laying it in the bed.

HanksDeuce

Here's the 5 ton spare tire holder that I modified for my 16R20 spare tire/wheel combo. I had the bottom carrier assembly widened by a few inches for the wider Michelin XZL tire. Then I had to cut 13-3/4" out of the bed to accommodate the spare tire rack in front of it. Totally worth it. The bed can still fit a sheet of plywood with the tail gate closed.

Attachments

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone tried the stock location with MRAP wheels? How about on the back of 109s?
So i am in the same predicament as you Mr. James. I had a wild idea just now to maybe mount it like some of todays trucks under the frame behind the rear axle...need to get my tape measure out and look at that space. Im not to worried of loosing ground clearance if it works seeing how I will be gaining height with 46" tires. my other thought was cutting into that storage comparment where the orginal NDT spare sits.

mattgunguy

I use the stock location with mrap wheels. Had cut the lip off the end of the tool box & make spacers to go between the wheel & the spare mount. Haven't been happy with it & the cable brook the other day. I'll be moving things elsewhere soon.

I tried using the existing spare tire holder. It seemed like more of a pain in the azz, and would require some hacking and still be too tight of a fit, than just putting it in the box.

The main reason I was looking for other areas to store the spare is because I was worried about getting one of these 395's up in the bed by myself. I looked at the little cranes I see people mounting to their trucks, but after going to HF and Northern Tool and seeing them in person, I passed on them for now. All it took was a couple wood posts, come-a-long, and chain since my come-a-long is so short. Slid right up very easily, and a post makes it easy to stand up the wheel once in the bed or on the ground.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks