• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire storage options M105

Ford Mechanic

I tow my M105A2 trailer with several different trucks, civilian and military. None of which utilize the same tire and rim combo the trailer has. Has anyone come up with a creative way to store a spare on a 105? Loading the spare in and out of the bed of different trucks gets real old, they're heavy!! Not to mention I changed them to 10.00R20's.

I've thought about bolting it in the bed in front of the wheel wells but when I temporarily chained it there I found it made the tongue too heavy to lift up and on to my M923A2. I was really hoping to store it under the frame but the fully boxed frame on it makes it difficult to bolt a M35 spare tire holder to it. So any one got better ideas?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just leave it loose on the floor of the trailer, and then if you need to transport something, you just reposition it? I know it's not sexy and all, but the only place that makes sense for mounting it is up front, either inside or just outside the box, but if that makes it too heavy for you to attach the trailer, not sure what else to recommend. Doesn't your M105 trailer have the landing leg that can be cranked up or down? Or do you have the older single-wheel landing leg?

Ford Mechanic

Yeah, it's got the newer landing gear on it but with the added height of the 10.00 tires and the M923 being so tall the gear is still too short to hook up without lifting the tongue. Just didn't know if anyone had come up with any better ideas. Some of the SS members are pretty crafty with problems like these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks