• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire under trailer?

lfhoward

I have a M116A3 that is running civilian pickup truck wheels (16 inch steel rims with 31’s). I am interested in fabricating an under-trailer spare tire carrier using a pickup truck spare tire winch.

Has anyone with an M101 or M116 done this before, and if so, would you be willing to share some pictures? Did you locate the spare tire in front of the axle or behind? Thanks in advance for your responses so I don’t have to “reinvent the wheel.” :wink:

Last edited:

McGuyver

I've thought about doing this too. If you mount it right over the axle, then it would be easier to lift the tongue and maneuver the trailer when it's empty because it would be balanced...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lfhoward

I've thought about doing this too. If you mount it right over the axle, then it would be easier to lift the tongue and maneuver the trailer when it's empty because it would be balanced...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hi McGuyver, I looked and there won’t be about room over the axle for the tire. The M166A3 axle has a higher center for maximum ground clearance, which eliminates that space.

McGuyver

Hi McGuyver, I looked and there won’t be about room over the axle for the tire. The M166A3 axle has a higher center for maximum ground clearance, which eliminates that space.
I've got an a2, so it might fit mine. I haven't checked yet however.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Barrman

A spare will also fit under the rear of a M101A2 with a wind up civilian truck/suv winch. I don't seem to have any pictures here at work of mine. I will get it at home this weekend.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A spare will also fit under the rear of a M101A2 with a wind up civilian truck/suv winch. I don't seem to have any pictures here at work of mine. I will get it at home this weekend.
That is where we put the water tank, behind the axle.
I will get pictures tomorrow of the underside of the trailer.

lfhoward

Thank you for the pictures, antennaclimber. That looks like a 2” square tube maybe from a receiver hitch. Or is it a bed frame rail? What model of truck’s tire winch did you use? eBay has a ton of options and they all look like they attach differently.

McGuyver

Couple of different styles I found when I searched:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lfhoward

I’m finally getting around to making the spare tire winch a reality.

This is a carrier from a Chevy/GMC C/K 2500 from the late 1980’s/ early 90’s, same era as my trailer:

I also got the jack and the tools to wind the tire winch:

Looking forward to getting it installed.

lfhoward

Here are some photos of where I'll be installing the GMC spare tire winch.

It's the beam in front of the axle, right side of this photo:

Which is the same as the left side of this photo:

The beam is beefy, so I am not worried about the weight.

The spare tire winch will be installed like this sketch:

The angle iron will be a place for the tire to rest against so that it doesn't wobble when on the road. The tube going to the winch will go through a hole in the angle iron to keep it stabilized as well.

MarcusOReallyus

Nice!

I'll be checking in on your progress. I like the idea of having a spare, and this seems like the ideal location for it. I alos like using a Chevy part for it, as it's more consistent with the CUCV that tows it.

(y)

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I look at the front of your trailer I see a big white wall and a tool box. Why not make a frame to hold the spare and put the box on top of it.

It looks like you are committed to under, but that front area looks easy to access and the spare is not too large.

lfhoward

When I look at the front of your trailer I see a big white wall and a tool box. Why not make a frame to hold the spare and put the box on top of it.

It looks like you are committed to under, but that front area looks easy to access and the spare is not too large.
Thanks for the suggestion, tobyS. My tool box is actually a battery box, so it already could be 150 lbs.

Having the tire on the tongue along with the battery box would increase the tongue weight even more and so I am wanting the tire to be back closer to the axle to mitigate that. I thought about putting the spare behind the axle but I would need to lose the rear stabilizer leg to do that and I am saving that space for a future water tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks