• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Truck @ Yard

m139h2otruck

Yes, both trucks were 1961 or so gasser M139s. Water truck already had tank mounted by some small fire dept. when we got it, and it's bed was laying on top of the spare truck's bed. Engine in spare truck is stuck per the guys I got them from, and since the starter is out due to a bad bendix, I never tried to turn it over. Already took the tierod off for the tractor, and still need the transfer case and exhaust manifold for parts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The starter on my 5 ton wrecker just needed to be taken apart and cleaned. It works fine now. Might want to give it a try.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, too many bridge trucks are falling under the gas hatchet. Wonder if I'll ever get one! Sucks to be down here in the land of no bridge trucks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What other parts are you trying to salvage off that beast? Don't scrap them, us guys here might want some spares. Those tires would be killer on a deuce!

m139h2otruck

The only things we sent to the crusher were the two beds with their steel sides. The rest of the truck will remain where it is for the time being, for parts. Counting the tires on the other two trucks, we have 32 each of the 1400x20 bridge truck tires and wheels. The biggest problem is shipping, costs more than the tires! The "little" tractor only has 1100x20s on it. On any other 5 ton, I would recommend using 1400x20 radials as super singles, not these old bias ply tires that are at least 40 years old. Also, they are only rated at about 6800# so on the rear they are overloaded.

m139h2otruck

Located in Merrimack, NH. Personal friend owns yard and is letting me keep it there. Other trucks and tires located elsewhere. Bridge truck wheels can't be used on standard 5 ton axles without the special spacers and the wider rear axles.

DMgunn

They are a full foot overwidth, at 9'6" at the duals, but some states (for example, South Dakota) issue annual overwidth permits for cheap ($60/yr in SD). Unfortunately, here in ND, the same permit is $500. Good thing the fine is only $20 vs. $158 in SD........

It definitely pays to find out if your state has any such permits........and also, the cost of the fine without the permit.

acetomatoco

Looks like my yard here in VT.. I have done the same thing with my 2 M139s...except am keeping one whole for parades...Have all parts available for sale..

spicergear

At some point I'd like to find an old hulk like that and dump that 375hp 8V71 into it for my heavy hauler. Do ya happen to know what that truck weighs as it sits?

m139h2otruck

Interesting that you should ask about the weight. I just moved the sister water truck from a job to the office, and since it will be idle all winter, went up the road to fill the gas tank (78 gallons!!). Since a good friends gravel operation is next door to the Sam's Club (cheap gas) I pulled in on the certified scale and checked the weight. With the tank empty, appox. half a tank of gas and me not in the truck it weighs a lightweight 20,820#. The spare truck still has the duals on the back, but with no tank (aluminum) and no pump and 3" steel water piping, I would guess that the bare truck weighs about 17,000-19,000#.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks