• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparks on floorboard

Apex02

Finally took delivery of my m998a1 today. Started it up threw it in reverse and noticed some sparks on the driver floorboard. Truck drives fine and all the lights work except the front driver marker light(which did work in the govplanet pics). Any ideas as to what the sparks may have come from? I'm obviously a newbie

orgnal

Finally took delivery of my m998a1 today. Started it up threw it in reverse and noticed some sparks on the driver floorboard. Truck drives fine and all the lights work except the front driver marker light(which did work in the govplanet pics). Any ideas as to what the sparks may have come from? I'm obviously a newbie
Check for loose wiring in that area. Post some pictures.

McReddy

Bravojmc

Don't drive your truck until you fix your issue!
low beam to high beam switch on the floor...?

Apex02

Well I ended up driving it around the block a few times and both low and high beams worked. I'll investigate a little more when it's light outside.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed: check for loose wiring or connections. Do it with power off, and if nothing obvious then can try doing it with power on (non-running), but wear gloves and goggles.

These vehicles get lots of loose connections from age, neglect and vibration. I tidied up many on my truck. One non-obvious place to check that might help you is to double check that the brackets on the backs of your instrument cluster gauges are plastic brackets, not metal. One of mine had been replaced with metal and it was randomly touching the aluminum frame of the dash. It was sparking but randomly, until I finally spotted it.

Your problem could be anything, there are dozens of connections in the spot you mention. You will find it by visual inspection, wiggling, and if necessary working hot (with protective gear on!).

Good luck! Please post your results as learning material for others.

Bulldogger

Apex02

I don't see any loose wiring etc. everything looks pretty clean and fairly new. The high beam switch works. The only thing that doesn't work is the front left marker light and it appears that the bulbs are still good. Pics attached. Any idea why there would have been sparks and what I need to do to make marker light work again

Attachments

NormB

There's a LOT going on behind that "dashboard". Pull the instrument cluster out a few inches (all you can do without releasing the speedometer cable) and get a look inside.

There's a THICK (like 2") bundle of wiring behind and above the steering column. I replaced my column as the bracket was broken (wings and aluminum inserts) and, when I took it out, I could see the YUGE adel clamps normally holding the bundle to the firewall had given way/broken and gravity dragged the wiring harness down where it rested against the steering column.

The outer insulation had worn through and partially through TWO thick (like 8 gauge) red wires inside. No arcing to ground on the steering column bracket, but MAN am I glad I had to do that before something disastrous happened. I teased the wires apart, wrapping with teflon plumber's tape and silicone self-stick stuff and reattaching the bundle to the firewall bracket with zip ties and adel clamp and no problems yet, but the ESS box had "issues" (charging, starting, glow plug cycling) and I replaced that.

There's a LOT going on behind that "dashboard". Pull the instrument cluster out a few inches (all you can do without releasing the speedometer cable) and get a look inside, behind, down.

No, I didn't take pictures.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see any loose wiring etc. everything looks pretty clean and fairly new. The high beam switch works. The only thing that doesn't work is the front left marker light and it appears that the bulbs are still good. Pics attached. Any idea why there would have been sparks and what I need to do to make marker light work again
I second the recommendation to pull the gauge cluster panel out for a peek, or perhaps technically NormB is seconding my recommendation to peel behind there. Your wiring does look cleaner than some. It's a small effort to disconnect and reconnect the light panel plug (unscrews, then pull) and reseat it. If you're still scratching your head after that, having found no "smoking gun" (well, wire) then you could pull apart each Packard connector in turn and reconnect those. Here's a tip: any time you pull one of those fat rubberized Packard connections apart, give ti a tiny dab of dielectric grease before putting it back together. The next time you need to disconnect it, and there WILL be a next time, it is soooooooo much easier and quicker.

Best of luck,
Bulldogger

pjwest03

IMG_8794.jpg

I see what appears to be one damaged wire in the photos. Probably not the source of sparks but, if there's one, there's more.

chickenbutt

When they demilled mine and removed the radio, they just cut the 24V power cable where it came out of the tunnel by the radio rack. The radio power cable goes direct to the batteries, had the wires touched each other or ground, it would not have been pretty.
Check for any equipment that was removed that would have had power to it.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they demilled mine and removed the radio, they just cut the 24V power cable where it came out of the tunnel by the radio rack. The radio power cable goes direct to the batteries, had the wires touched each other or ground, it would not have been pretty.
Check for any equipment that was removed that would have had power to it.
+1 on that, it is very common. I had two clipped main power cables in my ride.
Bulldogger

Apex02

Yeah I still have the big radio plug coming out of the tunnel. And those aren't damaged wires in pic. Here is a better shot--it's just 2 wires coming out of a rubber housing that I guess connects both of them

Attachments

NormB

Yeah I still have the big radio plug coming out of the tunnel. And those aren't damaged wires in pic. Here is a better shot--it's just 2 wires coming out of a rubber housing that I guess connects both of them
Man, the suspense is killing me... did you find the source?

Apex02

Unfortunately never did find the issue--I did find that my front composite light was out because the wire was severed inside the front composite light housing itself--but I don't think that would have caused a spark inside the cab on the floorboard. Everything else works fine and looks fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks