• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparta M923 recovery and trip home

Hoefler

Picked up a GL won M923 for myself, a buddy picked his M923 and A3 win at Sparta this week. Drove the 5-tons and hauled the A3 back to St Paul with little issue. Had a buddy of mine drive mine home-he has a CDL-air brake license, so he got to have the driving fun. The 5-ton trucks where in very nice shape and run well (outside of a very harsh 1st gear downshift). Had one issue with my truck-tried to turn the heater fan on-flicked the switch to low and high with no apparent blowing of heat so decided to wait till whole truck was warmed up. Tried it again-saw the amp meter react when I slected high heat. After doing this, notices smoke coming from under hood. Issue was fan blower was stuck casuing the motor input wire to overheat and smoke. Disconnected the wire feeding motor to make sure it was not powering. Heads up on these blower motors-the face straight up and down and would seem to easily corrode and casue motor on fan to sieze. Seems there should be some sort of electrical overload to prevent overload-but anyway, make certain fan on motor spins freely before sending power to fan motor.
Outside of this (and the harsh 2-1 downshift) the trucks are fine. Was able to travel 55 MPH at 2,000 RPM without issue. Great truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

cruz

I'm still waiting on my euc to clear. Hoping it doesn't take to much longer. I cancelled my home phone since my last euc. I was hoping to get my 923 before Christmas but I don't know if that is going to happen now.

Chain-Saw

Congrats on the recoveries. I'll be sure to watch for that blower smoke. I got the one with the locked tool box (hopefully still locked 8)). Picking her up on Wednesday, and fingers crossed for an un-eventful recovery.
Wes.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya I still haven't cut the lock yet but keeping my fingers crossed. Like Pete said my other tool box seems well supplied with goodies though!

Chain-Saw

Oops, guess I didn't get the one with the locked toolbox (although it had one in the GL video). I checked my inspection notes, and forgot I switched lots in the heat of the bidding war. Oh well, can't wait to hear what you find!

Last edited:

camp9

Yep, always fun to see what got left behind. When I get a new truck home the boys are one it going through everything, finding things I may never happened on. :-D

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not expecting anything, I got an M813 a couple weeks ago with a locked toolbox and it was completely empty. Well I guess I better go see whats in this one! Will report back later.