• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparta to Ohio done and done.

Vociferous

When people on SS say recoveries are an adventure that's the truth. Picked up my M925A2 on Saturday, was gonna be Sunday but had to move it up a day, which happened to be 95 degrees and stupid humid. Here's the truck...

002.jpg

First look! Looked great in person. Minor paint peel and some surface rust on a couple spots, otherwise beautiful. Cargo cover looked brand new and the hard top was in great shape. The truck started before a complete revolution every time, no hesitation. No black smoke and purred like a sleeping lion.

007.JPG
Loaded with tools! Bonus.

005.JPG
Sgt Laumer sweating in the heat putting in 4 Hawker batteries. Had Exide batteries with two bad. So after a little dealing she now sports Hawkers. If you ever need anything out of Sparta get a hold of Sgt Laumer PM him or email from his profile or PM me for his number. He's the best! Went above and beyond to get me on the road.

010.JPG
Cruising down I90...pushing it hard.

012.JPG
First wrenching...disconnecting brake chamber.

Left Sparta at about 5pm. After driving for a few dozen miles, stopped and checked temps on brake drums, hubs and pumpkins. Everything was cool except far rear driver side brake drum. Running 299 degrees! Ouch. Call to tech support and they thought maybe the e brake diaphragm might be blown. I was walked on how to remove it from the backing plate. Had to leave service air disconnected.
Just to let everyone know, a rolled up ball of duct tape place in the end of the hose and then wrapped with duct tape will hold 120 psi of pressure.
Well, checked a few miles later still 240. Smacked drum with hammer thinking maybe pads stuck to drum. Drove some more down to 220. Then I saw fresh oil or grease on the inside of tire like it had been slinging out while driving. Sh#%. Good thing was it was starting to cool down outside now, continued to monitor temp kept dropping but was still about 50-75 degrees hotter than the others.
After stopping and sleeping in the truck for 3 hrs got the truck home on Sunday afternoon. Sore butt and back but still excited.
Now I have to figure out what's going on in the rear wheel area and why the truck shimmies side to side in the front and hops sometimes while driving at different speeds.

Sorry for the long winded story. But I did keep it short, honest.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks