• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Special question from a Special Guy

that1028guy

Ok, first off. Im not sure this should even be here and if its not supposed to be I do appologize. I will be picking up a m1031 contact maint truck. It had a gas powered gen set in it, doesnt now. No welder or anything for that matter... How hard would it be to aquire all needed parts to make it a pto type set up instead of the gas powered set up. I would like to set it i.up this way for a couple of reasons, one no need for different fuel and space for it, and just general ease of opperation. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Ej

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gathering all the stock parts may prove difficult unless you buy a parts truck. The PTO setup is just a generator, you need to add welding capabilitites. Your truck is ideally set up for an engine driven welder. Perhaps a Miller Trailblazer or a Lincoln Weldanpower would suffice. Should fit on the slide nicely. You can either purchase a diesel one or gas powered and run it off propane. I have the same body on a trailer and I use propane for my cutting torch. A larger bottle and you would have fuel for your power that never goes bad.

Alex400

You can either purchase a diesel one or gas powered and run it off propane. I have the same body on a trailer and I use propane for my cutting torch. A larger bottle and you would have fuel for your power that never goes bad.
So you have propane powered generator and an oxygen-propane cutting torch? how does that work in comparison to an oxy-acetylene cutting torch?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't purchased the welder yet but I've used propane/ oxygen for cutting since I was a kid. Much cleaner for sure. To be honest, I can't compare, never used acetlyne for fuel. It sure is nice to be able to grab a bottle of gas off the grill and finish the job.

Alex400

I haven't purchased the welder yet but I've used propane/ oxygen for cutting since I was a kid. Much cleaner for sure. To be honest, I can't compare, never used acetlyne for fuel. It sure is nice to be able to grab a bottle of gas off the grill and finish the job.
Yeah easy access to fuel would be nice. I have some welding experience but not much and all i have every used was acetylene for welding and I have observed it being used for cutting. I was just curious, anyway back to the thread!

MARCO1031

I decided to go with an aftermarket diesel genset in mine. I shopped around on Craig's List and located a very nice Generac 7.5KW generator. I am in the process of installing it now. It is liquid cooled and enclosed. It takes up about a third of the space of the original gas generator. I have also picked up an additional fuel tank for the passenger side of my truck and will feed the generator from that.

Attachments

that1028guy

So if I go with a small engine powered gen set, what should I get. Im looking at a mig welder, and wanting to be able to run a fue flood lights, small fridge, lab top, x box, and a 32 in plasma tv.... Oh and the coffee maker.....rofl But seriously, this Kw crap is killing me, I read the other thread about getting to big a gen set and causing alot of problems. Or should I regretably back out on a very nice forum member and look for something else? (Which I really don't want to do.) Or if someone can come across the parts to make it pto......[thumbzup]

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was your M1031 originally a PTO generator or was it the gas engine generator? I will possibly be parting out a PTO generator setup, I will know in 2 weeks.

Stan Leschert

As for the idea of using a propane cutting torch, well it's cheaper than Accetylene, but It does not burn as hot. If you get the right jets for your torch, you should be able do cut, but brazing would not work out that well. I am sure that a professional welder will chime in on this thread, and finally give an informed opinion. Until then, that's just what little I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks