• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Special TQG items are getting pricey!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at what the damn fuse holder goes for these days... and out of stock almost everywhere: https://us.rs-online.com/product/bussmann-by-eaton/fhn26g1/70149872/

I've been whittling away my parts stash over the last 6-8 months helping other SS users in a bind with availability now... but I can't even replace what I am selling these things for.

I hope owners who haven't built out their own personal parts stashes consider doing so before small items just go away and you really need to start getting creative.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Insane!!! Surely that price is a typo.

I used to salvage dozens of those fuse holders every week from various pieces of equipment.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not... same price is shown on Mouser, Amazon, etc.. all the normal electrical suppliers. Its an obsolete part now, most just shown as discontinued.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's dozens of pages of that type of fuse holder on the bay. It's a panel mount fuse holder and any number of substitutes are out there.

What makes a $2 fuse holder so special that a company would have the audacity to charge $97 for it? I don't care who makes it as long as it meets the current/voltage specs......which in these gensets is minimal.

It is one of the most ubiquitous parts in most equipment.

Here's just one example of what's out there.

By the way, I'm not a purist when it comes to getting a piece of equipment up and running. If there's a working substitute part available for far less money, I'll use it.

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I work for a company in the electrical interconnections industry. Parts like this with low volumes are getting discontinued by us and others. Milspec parts which have not been ordered in 20 years are suddenly coming in on RFQ. FU pricing going out on a lot of these quotes and orders coming in anyway.

Eaton got real expensive. I use a lot of Eaton 10250T oiltight switches and buttons on controls and the prices are out of this world. Leadtimes extended. Alternatives available - yes. But the quality is just not the same. Not even close.

Lots of consolidation in the industry also contributed to this. All the 10250T used to be Cutler Hammer for example. All made in DR now by the way.

Eagle Electric got bought out by Cooper Electronics which got bought by Eaton...for example.

I cannot get Press controls, or even clutch/brake friction material from the OEM currently. No one really knows why either...

Ordered a PLC 3 months ago, nothing special, still waiting for the BO to come in. I just bought a complete used machine, just to take off the controls and other parts and install them on a different machine that I am rebuilding...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I work for a company in the electrical interconnections industry. Parts like this with low volumes are getting discontinued by us and others. Milspec parts which have not been ordered in 20 years are suddenly coming in on RFQ. FU pricing going out on a lot of these quotes and orders coming in anyway.

Eaton got real expensive. I use a lot of Eaton 10250T oiltight switches and buttons on controls and the prices are out of this world. Leadtimes extended. Alternatives available - yes. But the quality is just not the same. Not even close.

Lots of consolidation in the industry also contributed to this. All the 10250T used to be Cutler Hammer for example. All made in DR now by the way.

Eagle Electric got bought out by Cooper Electronics which got bought by Eaton...for example.

I cannot get Press controls, or even clutch/brake friction material from the OEM currently. No one really knows why either...

Ordered a PLC 3 months ago, nothing special, still waiting for the BO to come in. I just bought a complete used machine, just to take off the controls and other parts and install them on a different machine that I am rebuilding...
Forgetting about the electronics in almost every piece of equipment in my building - we are having problems getting PAPER. There is no reason other than the EPA why there shouldn't be more paper than we would ever need. But manufacturing volume is way down.

Train Rail Volume is down by 4%. For the first 18 weeks of 2023 (ending May 6th) according to the Association of American Railroads (AAR). Another rail measurement for the week ending May 6, 2023, U.S. Class I railroads carried a total of 471,859 carloads and intermodal units, falling 6.6% from the same week last year.

Paper mills are being bought up by the bigger paper manufacturers. Some of those machines are being converted to paper board mills too. That happens because no new manufacturing capacity (no new mills) in the past 40 years. 1983 was the last mill opened in North America even though paper volume continued to climb until 1999. What used to be "fine paper" is not being widely made these days because the old, tired (out of spec) paper machines are now days manufacturing Paper Board. The precision is lost and so they make cardboard (too) - to ship imported goods across the water to us or out of the BIG online distribution facilities to your house.

Yep, getting what is required to operate a business seems to get more difficult almost daily

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's dozens of pages of that type of fuse holder on the bay. It's a panel mount fuse holder and any number of substitutes are out there.

What makes a $2 fuse holder so special that a company would have the audacity to charge $97 for it? I don't care who makes it as long as it meets the current/voltage specs......which in these gensets is minimal.

It is one of the most ubiquitous parts in most equipment.

Here's just one example of what's out there.

By the way, I'm not a purist when it comes to getting a piece of equipment up and running. If there's a working substitute part available for far less money, I'll use it.
Those in the ebay listing are only rated at 10 amps. The MEP requires one rated for 30 amps.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0224.jpegIMG_0223.jpeg

Different part number
Identical part
Same Amp and Voltage
$11

Looks correct to me.

IMG_0225.jpeg
OPs pic of $90+ part

If it's sold to the Military, then it must be expensive.
Hate it when companies do this.

They do this in aviation also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks