• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Specs of the M-38

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a M-38 (not A1) for sale near me I am toying with the idea of picking up. What are the specs of the jeep, mechanically? Type of tranny, type of axles, gearing, HP, etc. Thanks. i am trying to determine whether this thing is original or a bitsa (bitsa this, bitsa that).

TedG

M38 are great military jeeps! Pictures help...

The M38 was available with the "Go Devil" L-Head 134 I4 engine, T-90 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 25 front axle, and Dana 44 rear axle.

Production 1950-1952 and the AJP, Mullins and Midwest Mil to name a few, have all the parts you'll need.

If it is mostly complete with limited rust, then get it! See my post on restoring my last m38!

emr

Im A Jeep freek, Mainly A Willys freek, they are ALL awesome. The M38 is the BEST though in MY opinion,Simply More road worthy than WW2 Varient, The LAST of the Flat fender, civy brother is the CJ3A , also last of the flat fender, To Have a Flat fender is just something special in any circle,U can run 750 's instead of 700's because thats what they used for sand service. Only will go up in value, Flat fenders are more collectable. Randy

because thats what they used for sand service, and they just look better too, Also because its not WW2 Its still going for reasonable money, and i believe it will only go up, Flat fenders are more collectable. Randy

emr

fold down grille, is original, and military, bat box on cowl outsida in front of windshield,means it original tub OR a decent repro at least, the channels under the seats under the body go first, and in front of the rear wheals at the edge of the body there is a seam that needs to be pocked with something to see if its still sound, 24 volt,2 bats is original, alot have been switched over to one bat 12 volt, i run an M38 12 volt with a Buick 155 HP V-6 motor , and a 2 inch arched spring lift, looks pretty good, OD with stars but the deul exhaust gives it away, I use mine for Mud Bogs and any woods i can find, i run it to death, and it just never dies.They are VERY stable vehicles. The original motor is basicly bullet proof too, if not totaly worn our, Randy

gwalker

Although the M-38 is my fav m series jeep with all the improvements added to it from the WWII design it was a fair bit heavier and H.P. wasnt on the improvment list, so its not as spry as its older patriarch. That is why the M-38A1 came so fast after, the need for more H.P.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks