• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spectra CU850 radiator is a three core, not four :(

No worries.....got the OEM flare nut to thread back in after carefully "cleaning" threads into another fitting and filing carefully between starter threads on the OEM flare nut......lesson learned = there can be no tension on the tubing when you thread the flare nut back in......I had probably bent the tubing when I was pulling the OEM radiator out by myself.

I asked a couple vendors today about the length of prothane radiator support 1711-BL (small block, guessing 3" long groove on underside?) vs 1712-BL (measures 3.5" long groove on underside, perfect fit for OEM radiator but not the replacement), but never got any response.......think the 1711-BL is likely the direct fit for the Spectra CU850 radiator.

100% agree with you Rick. The factory line routing is pretty exposed underneath the trucks. For anyone planning on running anywhere where the bottom could scrape I would take the time to reroute.

scottladdy

... I had probably bent the tubing when I was pulling the OEM radiator out by myself.
May not have been you. Could have been that way all along or a previous technician may have twisted it. The main point is they can be fussy. But once you learn how to finesse them in you are golden from then on.

Glad things are working out, now let's see that truck back on the road :driver:

I used the Prothane 7-1711-BL isolators to re-install my Spectra B850 radiator......they were 2.75" long in the saddle groove underneath, and I used a rotary cutting tool to widen the saddle groove to 3" long to better fit the ridges on the Spectra radiator.

The Prothane 7-1712-BL were too long in the saddle groove at 3.75", and this would let the radiator slide back and forth in the saddle groove. The Prothane 7-1712-BL would be a direct fit for the OEM radiator.

I ordered Spectra Premium B850 through Autozone as well, and argued for a discount since RockAuto had same radiator for $40 less.....got a 10% discount at Autozone so out the door with tax and 16 pack of assorted O-rings was $320.....can't beat a lifetime warranty and in person resolution of any shipping/packaging issues.....will pick it up this evening or tomorrow morning......ordered the prothane isolators as well (eBay) since when I pulled one away from the back side of the upper mount bracket it basically fell apart......thanks for all the good tips!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I now have to tackle all this since my original radiator has decided to start leaking.
Cap side at bottom right at core/tank junction.
Yes Hose clamp is tight and wish it was that simple
Will take to shop first, but will most likely have to go this route.

I swear it started leaking once I started reading this thread!

cucvrus

Probably getting a bit thin at the seams. That seems to be going around at this age of the core. I have different types of radiators from the new OEM to the Spectra. I like the plastic aluminum over the copper brass. They seem to hold up well. Time will tell. They are warranted for life. That's a plus. And changing a radiator is not a major task. It helps you get an eyeball on the radiator core support and do some touch up paint work that may be needed there. Good Luck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've changed out several in other trucks and it's usually fairly easy. Cooler lines are always the hardest part.
The new style radiators don't bother me a bit. Those hold up very well.
Will order new one regardless.

If original can be fixed, great. If not, I already have new one ready to go.
Will replace fan clutch and thermostat at same time. Paint fan, etc.

I have new rubber supports for the original, but is sounds like they won't work.
What part number is correct for the correct rubber support?

Wish Energy Suspension made a set.

Sorry for your issues, but amazing how timing works sometimes!

Hardest issue on my replacement was getting correct isolators for the Spectra 850......it's not was wide at the ridges as the OEM.....so made a custom fit as described above.

Otherwise, the Spectra 850 had all the correct fittings in the correct place for OEM fit.

I've changed out several in other trucks and it's usually fairly easy. Cooler lines are always the hardest part.

I have new rubber supports for the original, but is sounds like they won't work.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-7-1712-BL-Black-Radiator-Isolator/dp/B000NSJ5Q4

I believe these are the right ones

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks