• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speed Gains/Losses.

FanaticalFever

OK, so My F150 has become a burden and I am getting rid of it, but I still need to get a few things out of the way before I get the chance to get my Deuce, and I keep seeing some controversial information on tire size vs speed ability.

Is there a Grey area? not sure what size the tires are stock on the M35's but I keep seeing a 62mph capability by the M35 with the 46" tires, what about the 53" or 49" tires?

I'm just trying to get an idea as to what I can do to get as much out of my truck with power and speed from my truck seeing as I will be doing some Highway driving as well as some hauling with the deuce after it's bobbed.

Please let me know guys, and I appreciate any insight I receive.

and I hope you all had a great holiday season.

rlwm211

If you care about keeping your motor together in your deuce you will not drive it pegged on the governor. That is a sure fire way to throw a rod.

I have been told by some sage members here that about 2200 is where you want to be on the road with RPMs. This puts a deuce on stock 9x20's at about 52.

Top speed on a stock deuce is 56 according the TM. Add tires that are bigger you get higher top end speeds obviously. You also lose some power turing those tall tires.

Converting the truck to a 4x4 will help with the weight and power.

If you have serious over the road driving to do you need something besides a 40 year old truck. I cannot speak for all in this forum, but most enjoy their MV hobby, and have a daily driver for more pedestrian things like shopping, travelling to relatives, and the like.

Hope this is helpful

RL

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think you're going the wrong way. You are looking for boost in performance and speed. My suggestion is strength the frame and add some JATO bottles. The performance in speed is unmatched by any other mod you can do but the end result is spectacular.

Last edited:

KsM715

Remember, an increase in tire size and speed will require that your brakes be in tip top shape. 53's are not possible on a stock deuce. The tandems are to close together. Do a search for tire size in the deuce and deuce mod forums and you should find plent to read to help you find the answers your looking for.

FanaticalFever

If you care about keeping your motor together in your deuce you will not drive it pegged on the governor. That is a sure fire way to throw a rod.

I have been told by some sage members here that about 2200 is where you want to be on the road with RPMs. This puts a deuce on stock 9x20's at about 52.

Top speed on a stock deuce is 56 according the TM. Add tires that are bigger you get higher top end speeds obviously. You also lose some power turing those tall tires.

If you have serious over the road driving to do you need something besides a 40 year old truck. I cannot speak for all in this forum, but most enjoy their MV hobby, and have a daily driver for more pedestrian things like shopping, travelling to relatives, and the like.

Hope this is helpful

RL
Very Helpful, The only long trips I plan for this truck are to Ogden, UT and back for it to be properly bobbed by someone who knows what they are doing, and out move to WI in the next year, other than that, I plan for it to be used as a pride vehicle/Man Toy, but to give it rests here and there, I want to own one to appreciate it, I doubt I'll ever see it being used off-road, and I don't even want the winch.

The long trips idea was just a thought, but your advice is being taken to heart, I look to enjoy, not destroy my M35.

Thank you.

Remember, an increase in tire size and speed will require that your brakes be in tip top shape. 53's are not possible on a stock deuce. The tandems are to close together. Do a search for tire size in the deuce and deuce mod forums and you should find plent to read to help you find the answers your looking for.
I just threw the sizes out there just for the sizes I see, and am merely looking at the best combo for the truck, style and versatility are what I sought, all of my answers have been answered, Thanks to 11Echo I have reached the decision to go no larger than 43" (1100R20) tires, rlwm211 for helping me understand that there's no use for them on long trips or even as daily drivers and to you for your input as well.

Thanks again guys.

and CARNAC, I appreciate your advice, but I'm not sure I want to go to those lengths on the truck, I am thinking more along the lines of practical means, not a bomb on wheels..........Jet Assist Take Off isn't quite what I was thinking, but it did get a smile from me on a hard day :smile:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
If your deuce is a LD (non-turbo) you can add the turbo and adjust fuel*.

If you have the LDT (turbo) w/original boost (5-8psi) you can turn up the pump. This will increase the boost. At 12-13psi you should see safe EGT's and recover that acceleration lost going to bigger tires. If you turn up the pump monitor EGT with a pyrometer.

* I did this and turned the IP down 2-1/2 turns to get manifold press down to 13psi. There was a big increase in power- 25-35% easy.

Has any one here seen the video of the C-130 that had the rockets on the front for stopping.:grd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnSfPh3yt8

or below

Attachments

Last edited:

FanaticalFever

Hope this is helpful

RL
Has any one here seen the video of the C-130 that had the rockets on the front for stopping.:grd:
Something along the lines of "Operation Credible Sport" I think it was.......failed when they prematurely engaged the forward firing propulsion and lost lift drastically.........sucked, could have been a really cool concept.

My truck came with Michelin 11.00x20 singles, it deffinatly accelerates slower than deuces on stock 9.00x11 duals, but once I find out where my fuel restriction is and the tweak the pump a bit it should be fine. When my motor is able to overcome the restriction (usually after a decent downgrade on highways) it will hold about 55 @2200-2300. and 90% 11.00x20's can be had for about $70-$90 a piece in good shape :)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so My F150 has become a burden and I am getting rid of it, but I still need to get a few things out of the way before I get the chance to get my Deuce, and I keep seeing some controversial information on tire size vs speed ability.

Is there a Grey area? not sure what size the tires are stock on the M35's but I keep seeing a 62mph capability by the M35 with the 46" tires, what about the 53" or 49" tires?

I'm just trying to get an idea as to what I can do to get as much out of my truck with power and speed from my truck seeing as I will be doing some Highway driving as well as some hauling with the deuce after it's bobbed.

Please let me know guys, and I appreciate any insight I receive.

and I hope you all had a great holiday season.

There is no perfect combination, tread or tire size, for all weather conditions, or for all on/offroad situations.

The only way I can deal with it is multiple sets of tires and/or multiple trucks.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks