• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speed of the M37

Mark_Ellis

Cabell,
That's impressive. I have been driving my truck a bit more this summer and have driven it to work for seveal weeks when I first got here in Md. I am not sure what my gas mileaged is but it is pretty bad. Still for the relatively short drive, it is just fun to do.
When I got my truck in 2003 it had sat for 15yrs but I was told that sometime after he got it (1968) that the engine had been rebuilt. I did have to change a head gasket and it had no ridge in the cylinders at all. Maybe I was lucky and it was balanced when it was rebuilt but mine doesn't complain at all on flat ground at 55 and my tires aren't balanced. As you know I did the disc brakes and dual master cylinder which makes me feel a bit better driving it knowing I can stop when I need to.

S/F
Mark

amanco

ZAK~ Is that two pounds of lead on your rear wheel or is your truck just happy to see me? :wink: When I switched from the bias 9.00-16's to the radial 11.00-16's, there was a huge difference in the quality of ride (45 to 50 MPH) and with no wheel weights to speak of. :shock:
I was planning on using the balancing beads, but I see no reason to.

zak

I could probably made a ten pound cannon ball with all the lead. I was in a hurry to get them mounted(Which I did) and ballanced as I wanted to go to a show the next weekend. I went to the local tire shop and you can see the result. Need to go to a good truck place or just take if off and not worry about it.

Tanner

CGarbee said:
alphadeltaromeo said:
What does Cabel's diesel conversion get on mph?
77mph with the current combination: ZF S5-42 five speed, 4.89 gears in the diffs, 900r16 Michelin XZL. Currently has the 2600rpm governor spring installed.

I have a post in another thread that list some of the other work needed when you go this fast such as seatbelts, disc brakes, rebuilt steering (heck, let's just say every bolt on the truck has been touched...), and improved lighting...
I've ridden in Cabell's truck... it rocks! And sounds like a real truck now with the diesel in it - just wear hearing protection -

Now, if I could just get the bits we need to do the 6.2 swap in my truck, we'd get to see what the mpg will look like with a 5 speed, stock diff gearing, 1100x16's, and a tailwind... that is, if we can keep the electrical system in one piece & get the d@&%#! 6.2 to light-off, right Cab? :wink:

"Tanner"

bambambam22

Can anyone help me with a Desert Camo pattern for a Ford Bronco. I can find forest but not Desert and I am not sure if it is the same pattern and if it is I dont know what colors would go where anyway. I need the pattern and need to know what color goes where. Any help would be appriciated. And I do know that the trucks in the asnd box were all solid tan and that is not the pattern that I am looking for:razz:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a big fan of Ted Nugent's Bronco. (and I don't even like Fords)

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably.

Jimma

They are not speed machines. As previously stated they have odd vibrations at different speeds and often feel shaky at higher speeds.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I adjusted the governor speed on my truck (to increase the top speed from 40 MPH - 45 MPH to 45 MPH - 55 MPH. The truck seems to run fine at the new setting. I will probably only run it at 45 to 50 for short periods, but it is nice not to have the truck top out at 40. There is a "flat spot" in the governor that I will cure once I build the tool to adjust that part of the governor.

45 to 55 MPH seems to be the maximum speed on these trucks and they don't seem to be too happy at that speed for very long. The truck is much happier traveling along forest roads at 20 to 25 MPH. It will happily do that all day long. :driver:

The truck has all new running gear (less than 250 miles on any of it) which is why I'm willing to do short periods of "high speed" in a 60 year old stock M-37.

Storm 51

1943ht

Just completed 1800 mile trip in my M37, 45 MPH was my average speed on a rebuilt drive-train .. Those flat gears in the transfer case let you know that anything faster than 50 is pushing the envelope :-D ..The unbalanced engine seems to be most happy with 45 MPH. Robust Beast, and after those break-in miles, am confident that it will drive pretty much anywhere without any issues. :doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks