• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speed or lack of.

FloridaAKM

I have the same truck you are talking about & totally empty, it will run 53-55 on a good day! Half loaded, it will run 50. but is happy running 45-47. The truck is stock from the WRAFB in Georgia & has 11,250.0 miles on it. The oil & fuel filters have been changed once, plus the tank was cleaned out by siphoning out the little junk that was in it & refiltering the diesel fuel before replacing it back into the tank!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And can the motor even get to 2600 in Neutral. All fluids up to Temp. raise the rpm slow and see if it will go there. Do not snap the throttle for the test.
The only other thing I can ask now is do you know the truck is in high range. This has happened before where OP's did not know about the low/high range. Why I will never figure out as it is in the TM's and on the dash.

Last edited:

red

Before you dive into the injection pump what are your fuel pressures? The truck needs 5psi at the fuel tank, and 32psi after the final fuel filters at idle.

If you're not getting those pressures the engine will not get full rpm range and power.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you dive into the injection pump what are your fuel pressures? The truck needs 5psi at the fuel tank, and 32psi after the final fuel filters at idle.

If you're not getting those pressures the engine will not get full rpm range and power.
I believe you could in a no load run up. The fuel required for no load test is nothing compared to the fuel needed for power pulling the truck plus load. Yes it is a good thing to check but I believe the high idle screw will fix the rpm problem. Here we are just adjusting the governer so remove the tin plate turn the adjusting screw two full turns counter clockwise and replace the leaver to test. When you find the setting for 2600rpm then remove leaver and replace the tin cover.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too be honest I am getting old and don't remember. It has been a LONG while since I had to do the adjustment so whatever it takes to get to that rear stud.
If it does not need the arm removed that would make it easer and then you do not have to do a no load just warm up the motor and wind out the gear you start in and see if it will reach 2600. If not readjust and try again till you get her there. If it goes over 2600 just let off the fuel and back her down some.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks