• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

speedo cable lube?

hummer4x4guy

Does anyone lube their speedo cable for preventive reasons and if so what lube to you use? I see there is a graphite oil for cables and figured this spring it would not be a bad task to do. So I was just curious.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my parts selling days, We had a male speedometer cable adapter made by dorman or "help" that would screw on a cable with a zerk fitting on the other side. You would then use your favorite grease and pack the cable full of grease, unscrew adapter and be done with it.

I would use on mine "red" or "green" multi purpose water proof chassis/wheel bearing universal grease.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In my parts selling days, We had a male speedometer cable adapter made by dorman or "help" that would screw on a cable with a zerk fitting on the other side. You would then use your favorite grease and pack the cable full of grease, unscrew adapter and be done with it.

I would use on mine "red" or "green" multi purpose water proof chassis/wheel bearing universal grease.
That's awesome. I'm going to see if I can find one of these.

Yes I lube all speedo cables before they are installed as they are a nos item and most times when they are pulled off the shelf there isnt much lube on them...The type of lube is importiant also use a lithium based grease and take the cable out of the casing and only lube the first half of the cable IE: the half that is closest to the transfer case or transmission in the case of a 2wd automobile, the grease will spread out to the 2nd half as its sliding into the casing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks