• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo Fix.

Incredilion

OK folks, I have one I think you might like.
Had my 86 dashboard apart, replacing bulbs, installing new lense etc, and a replacement fuel gauge. My speedo always read wrong, and made irritating scratchy noises while I was going down the road, and I'm too cheap to have it rebuilt.
Took it out, sprayed some penetrating fluid/lubricant all over it, twice; then put it back in.
It's quiet now (totally), and is within 1 MPH of being spot on against a GPS. Coolest thing I've done in a while.
Then, I installed my new Idaho ARMY Veterans' plates (Q1776 is the number on rig 1, "1776Q" is on No 2)....) and they looked awesome.
To make up for my good deeds, I lifted the tailgate with the window not rolled all the way down, and it EXPLODED, sending glass at least 20 feet in EVERY direction away from the truck & inside. Tomorrow, I'm going to spend money that is DUMB on something I didn't need about an hour ago. :evil:
But hey, My Speedo is quiet & correct......and you should SEE people's faces in town when they look at the words "REVOLUTIONARY Realty" stenciled on the sides & rear of my (2) rigs. They do; of course, say "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" on them, too, along with our phone number (208)-667-1776. This summer is going to be fun; especially the 4th of July Parade.:grd:

Flyingvan911

A little oil helps the cable and speedo alot. I just oiled my speedo cable in the deuce. The speedo quit working and it turned out to be a loose part on the transfer case. Now I have a new speedo cable I don't need, yet. I'm glad you got your problem fixed without spending alot of cash.

Incredilion

Flyingvan-
I was pretty surprised about it myself. I had resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to have them both redone etc, so this was a good thing. Glad you got yours working, too, without a lot of headache, sounds like.

Barrman

Using a drill to turn the speedometer between oilings is a good way to only have to do it once. Glad you got it going right.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I've paid about $300 ish each to have two of mine rebuilt. Both were wrong. One was too high, the other was too low. NOW they are dead bang on.

My third one is going to be replaced with a rebuilt older one. The one on mine now is a post-91 speedo with six digits, which is incorrect for our years of vehicles. So it's being replaced with a correct speedo that has been rebuilt and recalibrate in the truck...

I see this as a 'one time only' type of fix IF I get it done correctly. And it should last another 20 years before it needs to be rebuilt again. Plus I PROMISE I'll take better care of it because I own it. Not a criticism of the military, but hey, these vehicles are just 'passing through' their hands as they use them - they can see hard usage. If we are lucky there is enough left over that we can rebuild and reuse them.

I see this in the same category as rebuilding the IP. You could probably save a few bucks if you did it yourself, but you would need to have it calibrated in the truck, so savings are nil. And I really do see it as a 'repair it once' type of thing. Because I won't be repairing it again, if I'm lucky.

Last edited: