• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Adapter Failure

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My speedometer quit working, so I tested the cable with an electric drill at two different points. The drive pin/key, part #25, within the adapter was inspected and found to be good. The first test was successful through the cable itself between the adapter and the speedometer. The second test failed when connected to the adapter itself. The adapter part is readily available and one is now on order. But, how common is the adapter as a point of failure?
Thank you in advance,
- HoveringHMMWV

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 4.27.25 PM.png

DREDnot

That's the main point of failure in my experience with speedometer cables.

Last one I did the angle adapter seized up and snapped the #25 stub shaft.
I Think that little shaft acts as a "fuse" in the cable drive.

Got a new piece(#25) and opened up the angle drive to clean and re-lube. Good as new.

papakb

Mine failed 20 tears ago because the adapter had loosened up and that short flex line wasn't running true inside and had rounded off. A trip to the auto parts store for a generic speedo cable that I cut to length fixed it and it hasn't been an issue since.

This is why I advocate spending time under your truck every months just "lookin' around".

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced mine with a GPS unit, now I know it is accurate no matter what I do as far as tire/transmission goes and no maint.!

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new twist to the story.....
Received the drive pinion (part #1 in the above diagram) from the vendor. I was under the truck disassembling the speedometer cable from the original pinion. When pulling the speedometer cable off of the pinion, the cable tip stayed attached to the pinion. The cable tip is not shown in the diagram, but is the faulty portion (rounded off edges in the pic). This cable tip part (located between parts #1 and #3 in the above diagram) is also readily available from the vendor and will keep me from replacing the speedometer cable itself. A function test using the original pinion and reseating the cable tip proved successful. In order to improve dependability, a new cable tip is now on order. Thank you to the vendor for allowing a return of the uninstalled pinion!
- HoveringHMMWV

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speedometer cable tip arrived today. Swapped out the failed one shown in post #6. A quick test flight (taking trash to the dumpster) proved a successful repair. Thanks again to KASCAR for the rapid shipping and for accepting the return.
- HoveringHMMWV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks