• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer calibration with different tires?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest looking at all the pictures carefully and making sure you got the "correct" truck. Not the first time gl or gp have screwed up.

cg25713

Thanks juanprado. I've actually been studying them for hours now and I'm fairly certain its the same truck. Serial number and miles matched and all the original issues with it were present when it was picked up - as far as I know, No compressor, both windshields broken, no tailgate, snorkel missing etc.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I must have missed it somewhere, but what extra weight on your truck are you talking about that you require the 24 bolt rims for? I know you have an 1152, I just haven't seen where you're running it fully armored or what load you have in it (I'm kind of curious)

cg25713

Yes the armor was removed. Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought due to added features like enhanced suspension, airlift bumpers, turbo etc. even with the armor removed there is a higher than standard weight. Either way, every 1152A1 I've been able to find online seems to have the 24 bolt wheels and so did mine.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regular MT tires are good for 3850 lbs each at 50PSI. That's roughly 7500 lbs each axle (or each end of the truck if you prefer)

With my M1123 and the BEOD on it, I cross the scales at over 9k lbs, 3800 lbs front end, 5600 lbs rear.
I don't have a turbo or a rear bumper, but those only add a couple hundred lbs to it; you should still be at 6k-6500 lbs before load.

Unless you're going to be running above 12k lbs full time, the 24 paired bolt rims with load range E tires aren't really necessary. I'm just running the rims because they were local and I got a good deal on them; they have my winter tires on them (MTRs) and my summer tires are MTs on 12 bolt.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
24 bolt is mostly preferred by people that think it looks cool on the civilian owned vehicles. That's the only real reason I can think of, as there doesn't seem to be any real benefit in a non-armored truck.

There are a few guys out there with fully armored trucks, but those are the only ones that really need them.

The early up armored trucks were apparently having issues with tires due to their weight and running the trucks overloaded in severe desert conditions. Not as likely to encounter the same thing here, unless you try hauling a few tons extra weight on the truck and driving through Death Valley or Moab or something.

Like I said, I got mine because they were a good deal when I wanted an extra set of wheels for winter tires.

It's twice as much work every time you need to change out the tire on the rim. two step torquing of 24 bolts as opposed to 12 bolts.
The load range E tires are a little harsher of a ride due to stiffer sidewalls. Running them at lower pressure helps a little, but there is still a difference.

I personally don't know when the switch was made, but I know there are 2 different versions of the 24 bolt rims. One has evenly spaced bolts, and is rated the exact same as the 12 bolt rims (50 psi max, 3850 lbs) and the 24 bolt paired/offset bolt rims are rated to 65 psi and whatever the load range E rating is (too lazy to walk out to my truck and check right now)
The 24 bolt might also be a couple pounds heavier, but probably not enough to make any real difference.

Some of this is just what I think, it might be incorrect.

cg25713

Are the BF Goodrich considered a better tire than the Goodyear? What are the differences? Also, does anyone know when they stopped using 12 bolt wheels? My issue is my truck had and is suppose to have the 24 bolt wheels and the BF Goodrich tires.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12 bolt rims are FINE!

I have 24 bolt only because a friend had a set to sell, otherwise I was going to re-use my 8 bolt rims.

Stop dwelling on stuff that is not important.

Only 12K vehicles needed 24 bolt rims due to the extreme weight.

Action

Are the BF Goodrich considered a better tire than the Goodyear? What are the differences? Also, does anyone know when they stopped using 12 bolt wheels? My issue is my truck had and is suppose to have the 24 bolt wheels and the BF Goodrich tires.
We can't fix that for you. You need to call govplanet. Or the shop that worked on it.
FYI, It might be a good idea for future purchasers to have the person picking it up to text a few pictures before it leaves GP lot.

I think it is the Goodyear MT/R that has tread coming down the sidewall. I personally dont like the look of that.
The military also put out a notice of premature wear and blowout with the Goodyear MT/R. BFG Baja T/A and Goodyear MT are not affected by that warning.

cg25713

Thank you both. I found out from the shop that they changed the wheels. They have offered to give me a set of 24 bolt wheels with BFG tires if I pay the shipping. They claim the original tires on the truck all had dry rot so without asking or telling me they changed all four wheels. "Doing me a favor"

Meanwhile one of the tires they sent was completely 100% bald and I had to change it myself. Plus I don't see any obvious dry rot on the original tires in the ip pictures. Do any of you? The listing is here.

Below is a pick of the bald tire they sent me while I was changing it. See how bad it was? What do you guys think? Now you know why I'm angry.

DSC_2325 2.jpg

Action

They should cover shipping on ASSEMBLED tires / wheels. I wonder how many other customers have this done and don't notice it. Check craigslist or epay for sellers in the shop's area to see if they are making extra money....

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goodyear MTC, BFG BAJA, Goodyear MT. You can find any series truck with any of those tire brands. The BAJA and MTR come in load range D or E. Supposedly you can mix those two tire types, as long as it's the same load range.

From what I have been told the MT tires are the hardest compound and last a long time. The Baja are the softest and last the shortest (under 20k miles?). The MTR are in the middle. MTRs have a bulletin out on them for blowouts and the Army gets rid of them after 5 years date code. Some people say it's because they tires were underinflated. I don't know, but I'm running MTRs that are twice that age and no issues so far.

If I bought a truck from auction, someone else worked on it, and it arrived with obviously different tires that were severely worn, and the shop did the swap wihout talking to me I'd probably be considering a lawyer at that point, or at least a police report as that is blatant theft, not "doing you a favor"

Reactions: 98G

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the bfg ride much better than the mt. Never seen any negative press on bajas. I think bfg is a leader in lt tires not so with goodyear.
Ymmv

cg25713

Thank you all for your support, guidance and opinions. I check near them tor local sales and wait to see how they handle it. I dont think I should pay shipping either. If they thought the tires were all dry rotted and they are a shop - why not call me and try to sell me new to me wheels/tires? Ill obviously keep you all posted on this saga.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren’t you an Atty? They Illegally made a change without notifying you and without sending images of the rot. Highly suspect and makes them liable for replacement rims and tires and lawsuit for illegal exchange of parts and theft.

Action

Aren’t you an Atty? They Illegally made a change without notifying you and without sending images of the rot. Highly suspect and makes them liable for replacement rims and tires and lawsuit for illegal exchange of parts and theft.
I don't know about other states, but over $1000 value is usually a felony. Just sayin...

Action

I just got to look at your auction pics. The tires they took look almost brand new. Probably only 216 miles, that is shown on the odometer...

1621052411395.png

A couple other things for you to check....
Did you get the LED headlight shown in the pic below?
Also, on the right side of the below pic is the black plastic "closeout" panel for under the dash. If you can reach up under the dash, by the steering column and feel wires, that is missing too...

1621052582947.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks